Folder Sync: Time stamp is not transfered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Sync: Time stamp is not transfered

I like to sync a local folder with a folder on a web server via FTP.

The time stamp of my local subfolders and of my files should be transfered to the remote subfolders and files, when a synchronization takes place.

I tried to figure out, wich options I have to choose, but without success.
    The result is always after a sync:
    The time stamp on the remote files is the time of the transfer. And the time stamp of the remote subfolders isn't changed at all.

When I check for a sync immediately after a sync, I get the result, that I have to copy all files.
    Which means, that BC doesn't realize that no sync is necessary.
    May be BC uses the time stamp as criterium and so it is no wonder, that all files a declared as "have to be copied".

My settings:
    Extras > FTP Profiles > General > Protokoll: FTP
    Extras > FTP Profiles > Listings > [x]Use MLSD; [x]Full time stamp; [x]Get incomplete time stamps

If it helps:
    My provider allows SFTP as well.

I would be glad to solve the problem.
    Thank you.

Beyond Compare will update the timestamps if the FTP server supports it; not all of them do. If you're running a recent release (3.3.x) and it still isn't working your FTP server probably doesn't.

You'll should have better luck with SFTP. If that doesn't work you need to use the "Touch local files when copying to an FTP site" setting to update the local copies instead. It's in the Session Settings on the "Handling" tab.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for your answer, Craig

Originally posted by Craig View Post
      Beyond Compare will update the timestamps if the FTP server supports it; not all of them do. If you're running a recent release (3.3.x) and it still isn't working your FTP server probably doesn't.
      Yes, I run the 3.3.3.
      What a pity. Then it seems, that my provider does not support such an - important - feature.
      I wonder because "MLSP" is available in the Settings of BC.

Please, what is the precise name of the feature of a webserver, so I could ask my provider for implementing it?
      Originally posted by Craig View Post
      You'll should have better luck with SFTP. If that doesn't work you need to use the "Touch local files when copying to an FTP site" setting to update the local copies instead. It's in the Session Settings on the "Handling" tab.
      I tried it with SFTP. Without success.

I don't like to destroy the time stamp of the local files.

Something else:
      Is it possible for BC to detect if a server supports "time stamp transfer" or not?
      If so, it would be nice, if the user could see in the settings, that he will have no success without any test.
      May be in form of a little message in the settings dialogue: "This server does not support the transfer of a time stamp. So you have to copy always all files and folders."

One last questions for this posting:
      Is it possible to switch the language of the GUI of BC?
      It would be easier to write about the settings, if I could use the GUI in the english language.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ibu View Post
        I wonder because "MLSP" is available in the Settings of BC.
        "MLSD" is an alternative LIST command for directory listings. It doesn't affect whether BC can set timestamps.

Please, what is the precise name of the feature of a webserver, so I could ask my provider for implementing it?
        MFMT is best, MDTM is also supported for the general case, and SITE UTIME is supported for PureFTPd and Pro-FTPd.

Is it possible for BC to detect if a server supports "time stamp transfer" or not?
        Sorry, no. We can't tell if MDMT is supported without actually trying to set a timestamp, and we can't rely on being able to connect to the server if you're just looking in the FTP Profiles. Someone could have different profiles on their laptop for home and work, for example.

Is it possible to switch the language of the GUI of BC?
        It would be easier to write about the settings, if I could use the GUI in the english language.
        Not dynamically, but it's controlled by the presence of a file named "BCompare.tr" in the install directory. If you move/rename that BC will revert to English.
        ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

@Craig

Thanks for your friendly help

What a pity that providers of webspace destroy the possibility of a real sync (which I measure at a full transfer of time stamps).

Comment

Working...
          X