Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrisjj
    replied
    Here's an example. I have a number of successive versions of a text file, and want to see the text difference between each version and it's predecessor. If I select the first file (right) and then EITHER Compare To.... its predecessor (left), OR select the predecessor (left) and Open (pictured here http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/561/regiontq.png ), then Next Difference Files does not compare the next pair - it simply closes the window.

Please file a wish that it compare the next pair. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

The Open command will always open the currently selected pair of files in a child session, at which point the Next Difference command will behave as I explained above.

If you use the Compare To command, it will also behave that way.

You'll have to be more specific on exactly which files you are selecting and comparing. I am not seeing a difference in behavior.

The only scenario I can think of is if you use the Compare Contents command, enable Show Dialog, double click a file from the dialog, that dialog is the "parent" in that case and it will scroll down that list.

If you would like to, please attach a video of the actions you are taking. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• chrisjj
    replied
    > I'm not sure what you mean by normal case.

Folder Compare, Open...

> Next Difference File always has the same behavior,
    > regardless of the files you selected and opened.

In the Open... case, it advances each side to ITS next file. In the Compare To... case, it does not.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    I'm not sure what you mean by normal case. Next Difference File always has the same behavior, regardless of the files you selected and opened.

Leave a comment:

• chrisjj
    replied
    > If you are using the Compare To command, it will begin from the lower position
    > and move down from there.

Goodness know why. Surely it would be better for it to move down on each side, at does in the normal case - Open.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

The Next Difference behavior will move the current selection down one line to compare the next different files. If one line down is not a difference, it will go to the next found. If you are using the Compare To command, it will begin from the lower position and move down from there. This command is only available from a child Text Compare session and uses the parent Folder Compare to determine the next pair of files to compare (aligned).

The 'Limit Next Difference Files to Current folder' is an option controlled in the Tools menu -> Options, File Views, Next Difference section.

From your other forum post, it looks like you are trying to use the Next Difference command to help with a One vs. Many approach, but BC3 does not currently support this. The command will move down through aligned pairs from the Folder Compare session.

Leave a comment:

• chrisjj
    started a topic 14128 Compare To..., then Next Difference Files

14128 Compare To..., then Next Difference Files

If I select a left text file, then do Compare To on a right file, the resultant Text Compare offers Next Difference Files but ISTM that command never does anything useful.

When left and right files are in the same folder, it just closes the TC session.

When they are in different folders, it blanks the left pane. e.g. Compare To... http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6...dercompare.png, then after Next Difference Files: http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4...ebeamoffse.png . This looks like a bug to me.

I would like it to compare with the file next in sequence from the Compared To... file.

Perhaps even the next Compared To... file in the set specified using Compare To... and drag: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7...comparebey.png ... Currently such set selection is offered by BC but not accepted - the pointer+query icon persists until a single target is selected.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 17-Nov-2011, 08:09 PM.
Working...
X