Unable to load....the handle is invalid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to load....the handle is invalid

I am trying to do folder compares between folders on different WAN segments using UNC paths, as opposed to mapped drives. Following is an example of one of the messages that I receive in reference to a folder:

Unable to load \\osad-1st-2\c$\Failover Data\OSAD-AO-2\AO Failover Data\C\common ao\Fiscal Department\Vendors: The handle is invalid

I also see similar messages in relation to files at times. I am logged in to the Windows XP workstation with credentials that are a member of the Domain Admin group and have no trouble viewing, accessing or editing files and folders in either location. The locations are actually source and target locations of a file replication software named Double-Take. I am trying to use BC3 to audit the file sets to make sure that everything is replicating correctly. I have verified that the security permissions on the folders are the same in both locations. I am not attempting to use BC3 to copy or sync the files/folders, just to compare them.

Can you please assist me in determining why I am getting so many of these 'handle is invalid' messages? I am using BC3 v 3.3.2 Build 14050.

Thank you.

Hello,

Do these error messages occur every time you attempt to scan or expand a subfolder in a Folder Compare session? To they always occur on the same subfolders, and never on other subfolders? Or do they sometimes occur on certain folders?

You mention that you have no trouble viewing/accessing/editing files or folders in either location. Would this be with Windows Explorer and other editing programs?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

At first I thought it always happened in the same subfolder but I am finding today that if I do a compare with a session that I've saved there might be some folders that show the error, but if I go back later and do the same compare using the same saved session it could be different folders that experience it. There are times though that after I've completed the compare and run it again I don't get any more errors at all. I've noticed that if I drill down in the folder structure to where the error is and double-click on that folder then that folder may end up comparing or will compare if I right click and choose Refresh Selection.

I can browse in Windows Explorer to any location and can open all files, mostly word processing files, in its native program.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Your symptoms sound sort of like a "not ready" type of error, where the file may be ready when you do a retry. Are these source and destination locations found on normal (networked) disk storage, or is one or both them on a special device or host that is part of the Double Take architecture? If "normal", are they both located on your LAN, or further out on the WAN?

/dps

Comment

All files are stored on HP Proliant servers on remote WAN segments.

Comment

Is it possible that it is some sort of timeout issue where Beyond Compare tries to access a file and then generates this error if it can not access it in a predetermined amount of time? Is there some sort of config file in which this could be extended?

Comment

Hello,

BC3 uses standard Windows procedures to read or open the files; if there is a timeout it should be hit when using Explorer as well. The one difference I can think of may be that Windows Explorer loads a folder at a time, while BC3 visits the folders and subfolders all at once. Do you think this may be too much for the server to keep up with? One test could be to disable the Session Settings, Handling tab, "Automatically scan subfolders in background". I would not consider this a solution, but it may be handy to know if it helps limit the problem occurring.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I don't seem to have any sort of lag issues with Windows Explorer or other programs. The servers are under low load and have more than enough resources for the task. I don't know if it could have any effect, negative or positive, but we even use WAN accellerators between sites.

I tried deselecting 'Automatically scan subfolders in background' and that did not seem to make a difference. I still intermittently get the errors. I also went ahead and selected all of the boxes in that area: 'automatically scan subfolders in background', 'automatically scan top-level orphan subfolders', expand subfolders when loading session' and 'only expand subfolders with differences' to see if that had any effect and I continue to receive errors.

Comment

Hello,

Which other programs would you be using? My reason to test Windows Explorer and this option is, when you load a folder in Windows explorer, it shows the subfolders and files but does not 'visit' the subfolders until you click on them. In BC3, by default, we visit all the subfolders (and subfolders in the subfolders, etc) and files in order to determine the comparison status of the files and folders.

For example, if you have 10 subfolders with 10,000 files, and 5 files in the base folder, a Windows Explorer session would probably open this a bit quicker (since Explorer is only looking at the 5 files).

To test, you can de-select the option and perform a full-refresh (ctrl+f5). Or you can try comparing two folders with only files present and no subfolders.

You mention lag issues; how large of a lag difference is there?
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

By other programs I meant WordPerfect to open word processing files and Adobe Reader to open pdf files. I'm not using anything besides Windows Explorer to browse. And I mentioned that I do not have any lag issues. What I meant was that I do not appear to be having any sort of network performance problems.

I've been running the BC3 software on a Windows XP workstation. Last week I also installed it on a Server 2003 server and am experiencing the same 'handle is invalid' messages when comparing. I wanted to make sure that it didn't have anything to do with the performance or network connection of the workstation. The server is connected to a gigabit switch with a fiber backbone so there definitely should be no sort of physical performance issue.

I can try comparing two folders of only files and no subfolders, but since I can never tell which folders in the comparison sets are going to be the ones that exhibit the issue it may not tell me much. And, as I am comparing some fairly large sets of files and folders, comparing individual folders one at a time without comparing subfolders will not be an option going forward.

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion. When you mentioned that other programs were not laggy, I assumed that meant that BC3 was lagging.

BC3 is likely stressing your system compared to the other tests you have mentioned. It is going to run through every folder and every file and ask for a ton of data (either properties or the files themselves with a content scan). Comparing just subfolders is not really a solution, but a test to help limit BC3 to be closer in line to Windows Explorer.

Would it be possible to disable the WAN accelerators or other factors to help narrow down which aspect of your setup is introducing the issue for you? Or do you have another, more bare-bones Network Share you can test against to see if its your system or the network that is introducing the error?
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. Disabling the WAN accelerators is not an option and they are positioned at each major site. I only have the issue across WAN links to I can not duplicate on a subnet link. I think I have decided that it is just something I'm going to have to live with. Unfortunately, that means that I can not use scheduled tasks to perform the comparisons either.

Comment

Working...
                        X