Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to compare contents of two folders with different names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to compare contents of two folders with different names?

I have 2 folders with different names. The files (and subfolders) in these 2 folders have the same name (i.e. if file1.c exists in one folder then it also exists in the other folder). However, the contents of the files are different.

Currently I cannot just compare folderA to folderB because the folder names don't match so the files in the folders are not compared directly. I must manually select left file and right file to compare. This is not practically since I have many files and subfolders.

Is there a way to compare contents of two folders with different names? Ex: I want to compare folderA\file1.c to folderB\file1.c, and folderA\file2.c to folderB\file2.c, etc.

Thanks,

Hello,

If you have BC3 Pro, you can use the Alignment Overrides feature if the folders are on the same sublevel. You can define an Alignment Override rule in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab. "folderA" = "folderB"

If you are currently running Std edition, you can revert to a trial to test this out:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro

Otherwise, you would need to select both folders and Compare in New Tab or Set as Base Folder to align them and their contents as a new comparison. Another option is to use Ignore Folder Structure, but this will require that all files in all subfolders of the comparison have unique names.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Aaron! The Alignment Overrule feature works great, especially when the subdirectories also have different names.

I have lots of binary .o files I don't want to compare, and I don't even want them to show up when doing folder comparison. In Session Settings > Name Filters > Exclude files I entered *.o but this doesn't seem to do what I want (these files still show up and colored red with an unequal sign).

How do I exclude files and have them not show up in folder compare?

Thanks,

Comment

Entering *.o in the "Exclude Files" section of the "Name Filters" tab in "Session > Session Settings" should remove files ending in .o from the comparison.

The quickest way to filter out a file is to right click on it and select "Exclude". In the Exclude dialog, you can select to either filter out that exact file name, or all files with that file extension.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X