Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to see only equal folders?

I am comparing two folders structures.
    I would like to be able to see only folders that are completely equals.
    For example, if I have the following.

On the left.____On the right.
    FolderA_________FolderA
    __File1___________File1
    __File2___________<NO FILE2!>
    FolderB_________FolderB
    __File3___________File3

So, on the right, in FolderA File2 is missing.
    If I say that I want to see only equals "=", B.C.3 shows also folders A on both sides. When I open them I see inside only File1 and NOT File2. Instead, in some situations, I would like to be able to say that I want to see only equal folders. In this case, I would like NOT to see folders A, since their content are different, and see only Folders B, that are completely equal.
    Is it possible right now?
    If not, can You add this feature to wish list?

Thank You very much again and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

After posting my previous message, I understood that the filter should be applied to leaf folders, folders that contain only files and not other sub folders. So, for example, if FolderA and FolderB are inside FolderC, and inside FolderC there is also FolderD, but only on the left side.

On the left.______On the right.
    FolderC_________FolderC
    __FolderA_________FolderA
    ____File1___________File1
    ____File2___________<NO FILE2!>
    __FolderB_________FolderB
    ____File3___________File3
    __FolderD_________<NO FOLDERD!>

I would like to see FolderC on both sides (with a "+" next to it, see my other wish list message). Opening it, I would see only FolderB.

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

Hello,

If you use Compare File and Folder Structure, and then Show Differences, this should show all folders with any different files. You can then Select All, Exclude to hide all of these files and folders.

Then switch your Display filter to Show All. Does this show the comparison you are looking for?

UPDATE: just saw your leaf comment. I don't think this will work for that example.
      Last edited by Aaron; 09-Nov-2011, 10:41 AM. Reason: UPDATE: just saw your leaf comment. I don't think this will work for that example.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Alright, we can't do the leaf scenario in the graphical interface. Could you go into more detail on what you'd like to do once you have this information? It may be possible to script a solution.

I've also added this as a request to the Customer Wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

There are two storages. A couple of years ago a complete folder structure has been copied from the main storage to the secondary storage. Since then, that folder structure has been used on the secondary storage, and on the main storage it has been kept as a history backup. Now, the main storage needs more free space. So, I would like to remove some folders from the main storage. But, I would like to remove, only from the main storage, only folders that are completely the same in the main folder and in the secondary storage. In the example above, I would like to remove only FolderB. Other folders should be studied to try to understand why they are different.

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

There isn't a way to do this in the graphical interface. You could use our select command in script, but I'm always more comfortable performing a deletion like this manually.

I would suggest loading the folders and manually reviewing the differences. As you resolve them, you will also encounter the exactly equal folders (which you can then binary scan to make sure they are exactly equal) and delete them.

If you are comfortable running a script to perform the delete automatically, you would probably want it to run criteria binary on everything before selecting any equal or different folders for action. You should test the "select exact.folders" command with a copy to folder command first, to see if the selection and copy work as expected before performing the delete action.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X