Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC won't copy locked OpenOffice files

Hi,

BC 3 won't allow me to copy any opened/locked OpenOffice files. OO files need to be closed before copying. Otherwise I get a "unable to copy / cannot open file" error. This is odd, considering Windows Explorer itself does allow these files to be copied normally. Please note that I'm not trying to overwrite these files in any way. I just want to copy them to a remote folder, then resume working on them.

Why is BC so strict? Is there a workaround?

TIA

What version of OpenOffice are you using? I tested copying an OpenOffice Writer (.odt) file that was open in OpenOffice 3.3.0 with BC 3.3.3 and didn't have any problems.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I'm using OOO 3.3.0 and BC 3.3.2 (14050). Some settings here may be a bit unusual. I'm using Windows XP SP3 on an original eeePC with less than 1GB free SDD; I'm syncing to a remote server using SFTP; the source folder is on a pen drive; the folders have accented characters.

I've also attached a screenshot. The message "o arquivo já está sendo usado por outro processo" means "the file is already being used by another process".

Comment

FIY -- I've just updated to BC 3.3.3 (14128), but nothing changed.

Comment

Hello,

You mention testing with Explorer, but Windows Explorer does not have built-in SFTP access. Were you copying to a local test folder as the destination instead? Do you see the same problem if you copy to that same destination folder with BC3?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Yes, my comparison was unfair, sorry for that. Copying via BC3 to a local folder, even in another drive, works without problems for open OO files.

Incidentally, it never occurred to me that FTP could work as a workaround. If I replace "sftp" for "ftp" in the command line, the files are copied normally. Then I can go back to sftp, press F5, then Touch the remote files and the job is done.

So I think the problem may be narrowed to open OpenOffice files + SFTP.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I think we've narrowed down how this is happening. We'll investigate to see if we can add the copy behavior to SFTP as well.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks! Please keep me posted if you have news on this.

Comment

We don't have a good automated solution for notifying customers of specific fixes or enhancements, but I'd recommend keeping an eye on the changelog (or just testing it out during a minor release). You can subscribe to our News and Announcements forum and receive emails whenever we have a new release.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                  X