Feature Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request

Like many others, I use an open source program (cart, blog, etc) with many files. Each new version installed sets the file dates to time of installation. That's a good thing, because when I edit any of the files the date is newer.

When I do folder binary comparison of versions 1.1 and 1.2, I currently filter files "older than" the install date of version 1.1 and the original, unchanged distribution files turn a greenish color and the files I changed are shown in red. Everything is good, so far.

Feature request:
    In the "View", an option to "ignore comparison of filtered out files".

I would then have only orphaned new files, orphaned old files, and files that I changed. I don't care what they changed in most of the files.

But, I would like to see the direction they are taking the program and what they left behind. And, of course, I need to get my code changes into the respective new files.

Having the requested feature would just make thing a little easier.

Thank you.

If you see a "greenish" color, then it is likely that you have "Suppress Filters" enabled. Click the "Suppress Filters" toggle button on the toolbar to make your filtered files disappear.

http://screencast.com/t/9g66jkQWo
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

In addition to Michael's comments, if an item that is shown is aligned to an item that would be filtered out, we show both. The item that would normally be hidden due to currently set filters gets a teal color, the same as if the Suppress Filters toggle was enabled, while the aligned unfiltered item gets the comparison coloring normally.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you for all replies.

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
        In addition to Michael's comments, if an item that is shown is aligned to an item that would be filtered out, we show both. The item that would normally be hidden due to currently set filters gets a teal color, the same as if the Suppress Filters toggle was enabled, while the aligned unfiltered item gets the comparison coloring normally.
        That is exactly the point of my feature request.
        In my scenario, I have little to no interest in changes made to the core files.
        But, I have a keen interest in locating & comparing files that I changed since the install date.

Perhaps, in the "filter/other filters/date" wizard, a check_box control to "suppress display comparison of filtered files" could be added. Its logical that the option be right where you are creating the filter.

AND, in my case, most of the 1,682 core files (spread over 278 folders) will be excluded. Leaving me with orphans on both sides and ONLY the 250+ php files that I edited, since the original install date.

I still have to review each of those files, line by line, to insure my changes are consistent with the newer version. Any help in getting those 1,700 files down to the only the ones I need to check, would be a great start to getting my work done.

Thank you,
        Juxi

Comment

Thanks for the request; I'll add your notes to our Customer Wishlist.

If you have the date filter set to be older than and equal to 1.1 install date, and another filter set to be Newer and Equal to the 1.2 install date, this should help narrow down your comparison and show just the edited 1.1 files. You'll also need to remove the filters and investigate any orphans (old files in 1.1 removed from 1.2, newly added files in 1.2).

How does this work for you?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            Thanks for the request; I'll add your notes to our Customer Wishlist.
            Thank you.

Good Tip!
            Appears to allow me to focus on the files I most need to; the ones I changed.

Orphaned files are another matter.
            Orphaned old files could be ones the developer dropped ~OR~ ones I added to 1.1.
            That is another round of investigation.

Would be nice to see orphaned files and non-filtered files all at the same time; to get better over-all picture of the migration path.

Thanks for the tip and consideration of my request,
            Juxi

Comment

Working...
            X