BC3 reports selected files in binary cmp as diff but bin same = when open new tab

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arjaydavis
    Expert
    • Oct 2010

BC3 reports selected files in binary cmp as diff but bin same = when open new tab

In beyond compare folder comparison, I select a few files within the folder to do a binary comparison: select the files, then right click to select binary option.

Beyond Compare reports these files as different.

But if I then double click on a row pair of files to open the comparison in a new tab, beyond compare does the comparison, e.g. for text, html or hex dump for binary and reports the files as the same.

This is clearly a bug and an inconvenience: when I right click on a selection of files as wanting a binary comparison on them, then that is exactly what beyond compare should do - but it clearly isn't doing a full, bit-by-bit binary comparison.

An inconvenience because I have to go through every row of pairs manually to open the files for proper bit-by-bit, byte-by-byte comparison.

Please advise on how I can make Beyond Compare properly, fully, binary compare a selection of file pairs (left and right) in a folder.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Arjay,

Double clicking on a pair of files and opening them in a child session performs a Rules-based compare, not a Binary compare. Files can be Rules-based equal but not Binary equal.

To perform a Binary compare or Rules-based compare on a selection, you can right click and Compare Contents.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• arjaydavis
      Expert
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello Arjay,
      Double clicking on a pair of files and opening them in a child session performs a Rules-based compare, not a Binary compare.
      Why then in the child session, does it say: "binary same =" when the compare is complete?

This is definitely a binary compare, because a hex dump is shown. I don't really think rules compare comes into this at all.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

You mention that this occurs for text, html, and hex. For your Hex files, this occurs for any binary files that you compare in the Folder Compare, or just specific files? Or is this tied to specific locations you are attempting to compare?

Does this issue reproduce 100% of the time when comparing specific files from a specific location?

With two test folders on your desktop, containing a set of sample data (copies of the same file), does the issue reproduce?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Could you post or email us a set of screenshots showing each step. Or better yet, a video capture like Jing:
          http://www.techsmith.com/jing/
          *Please note that Jing is not a Scooter Software product and is not supported by Scooter Software.

If you email us at [email protected] please include a link back to this forum thread.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• arjaydavis
            Expert
            • Oct 2010

Mac HFS+ compared to NTFS in Bootcamp

This was an unusual case in that I was comparing the files between these file systems. So it would not be surprising that BeyondCompare reported differences as I would guess that the CRC system used by the file systems is different. But when you actually do a full compare, the files are the same as expected.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

BC3 has compared a Mac samba share and regular Windows NTFS folders successfully in the past. I believe something else would still be at work here. We would need more information, such as the host machine BC3 is running on (emulated on the Mac?), and the types of base folders loaded.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...