Skip renamed files, but filesize+date are the same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip renamed files, but filesize+date are the same

Am sure this is a newbie question, but I just cud not find the solution for this (it is somewhere, no doubt..)

compare to folder (inc subfolders)
    in the leftfolder the files are all the same as in the rightfolder
    however, in the right folder they have been renamed.

left: filename.doc
    right: date_filename.doc

all other stuff, size/date are the same

I want BC to skip the files that are the same size/date-wise and to display only the ones that aren't in the rightfolder.

The default "Show Differences" also shows files that are identical size/date wise.

any suggestions ?

TIA
    =

Hello,

Beyond Compare 3 does not support aligning files with different files names but the same content. BC3 Pro does offer a feature called Alignment Overrides: if "date_" is always equal text, you can define an file name alignment rule that aligns based on an expression such as:
    * = date_*
    or
    *.png = *.jpg (equal file names, different extensions example.)
    These can be set in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab.

This will line up your files that then have the 'same' names and in the same folders, but not the ones in different folders. Once aligned, the current comparison criteria (default: timestamp/size) is applied.

The trial of BC3 defaults to Pro mode for you to test with. If you are registered for Std, you can trial Pro again following this guide:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello
      Thanks for your feedback.

I've look at your advice and PRO version. The 'date_'filenames actually
      are displayed like 110320013030.ThenTheFilename.doc
      yymmddhhmmss.filename.

Have tried to understand your suggestion and went to PRO temporarily,
      but could not figure out how I were to proceed with such bignumber-filenames.

After a while I gave up - synchronized the folders and used a dupfilefinder to tag dups and delete those.
      Maybe, one day, such a duplicate file finder will be included in BC or BCPro.

Anyway, I have used a workaround to solve the issue.

Thanks again for the support.
      =

Comment

Hello,

I'm glad you were able to find a workaround.

For using the Alignment Overrides, they are side specific, so let's put your longer date name on the left. Then:
        (\d{12})\.(.*) = $2
        as a regular expression alignment.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X