Compare to... (as a "rule")?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare to... (as a "rule")?...

In a folder compare we have subfolders with the same hierarchy. At some point one "branch" renamed one of the subfolders... so now when I want to compare a snapshot from the past, to a current one, I have to visit each of these sub-folders and do a "Compare to..." and select the renamed folder.

What I'd like to do is to be able to tell BC that "oldfoldername" should be always "Compare to..."ed "newfoldername" so I can do a high level diff of the whole tree without having to visit each subfolder at the level the renaming happened.

Is there any way to do this easily (other than outside of bc, make a copy of the old tree and rename all the folders [obviously]).

?
    Peter

Hi Peter,

You can do this in Beyond Compare 3 Pro (not Standard), as long as the renamed folders are at the same depth in the folder tree.

Load the folders in the Folder Compare.
    Right click on a folder on the left and select "Align With", then click on the folder you want it lined up with on the right.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I didn't know about the alignment feature/dialog, thank you!

However, when using "Align with..." in the right click context, that limits it to the single directory you're right clicking...

In the "Folder Compare - Session Settings"/"Misc" tab, "Alignment" section, though, you can edit the alignment rule and remove the "limit to folder" setting to make it global... which worked nicely!

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X