BC2 handles this folder better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC2 handles this folder better

Hello, this is to report a bug in BC3's folder compare function.

BC2 handles this folder without any problem:
    C:\Documents and Settings\***\Application Data\Thinstall\Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007\%AppData%\Microsoft\UProof

But in BC3, it says "Folder not Available."

Not sure why. But I suspect it is because of the "%" symbol.

It is also interesting to note that if you enter this path in the address bar of windows explorer, windows explorer can't locate this folder either (but the folder does exists).

What makes you think that that folder exists? %AppData% is a built-in environmental variable that expands to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data. You can't use it at the end of another path.

Edit: Ahh, I see, you've created a folder named %AppData%. Don't do that. Explorer and BC both expand environmental variables before loading folders.
    Zo P Scooter Software

Comment

Craig is right. It was BC2 that had the limitation (the inability to correctly resolve environment variables in path names). If you insist on having a folder called %AppData%, first open BC3 to:

C:\Documents and Settings\***\Application Data\Thinstall\Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007\

Then expand the tree or double-click to navigate through the lower subfolder levels. This is the same thing that you have to do to open the path under Windows Explorer.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Thanks to Craig and Michael.
        Now I understand the issue better.
        I have that folder on my computer because I use a virtualized (by VMWare ThinApp) version of Microsoft Office 2007. I need to synchronize the file of custom.dic (customized dictionary) with the same file created by another portable version of Office 2007 from time to time.

Comment

Would a combination of Michael's suggestion (up one level) and File Name Filters (to show only the items you want to sync) work for you?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X