• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vletroye
    Journeyman
    • May 2011

How to copy folders with an external tool

Hello,

I am using Beyond Compare to identify the folders on PC's which have not yet been copied on a NAS.

Once I have compare a PC and the NAS, I would like to copy some of the missing folders on an external drive (instead of copying them on the NAS).

And I would like to copy those folders with an external tool (TeraCopy) which is managing the transfers. Opposite BC3, the transfers are queued.

I don't see how I could do that ? Am I missing something or is it indeed to doable ?

Thx a lot in advance for any tip !

V.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can load the PC folder and NAS folder on either side of a Folder Compare session. You can then run a comparison and show the Left (PC) Orphans using the Display Filters. These are items that would be only on the PC and not the NAS. You can select these files with an Expand All command, Select All Files command and copy them with the Copy to Folder command to a third location if you want to copy with BC3. Alternatively, you can select them and use the Copy Filename command to copy a full path list to your clipboard. You could also use an Open With command if Terracopy has the ability to accept a command line and parameters to initiate a copy.
    Here is an example KB article about Open With:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...kb_openwithapp
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• vletroye
      Journeyman
      • May 2011

Thx a lot !

IMO, I cannot "expand all files" because copying them would not keep the structure of the subfolders. In addition, I did add a custom "Open with" which "accepts file", but it was not available when I selected multiple files...

However, if I could find the right parameters to open TeraCopy with a custom "Open with" which "accepts folder", then it would be really perfect !!! TeraCopy has indeed an interface where I can select the target folder to copy or move the selected items. This interface opens from a shell extension. I "simply" have to find the input parameters/options of this shell extension.

Thx again for the tip!

V.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Our Copy To Folder has a few different options for preserving the folder structure (to various degrees). If you click the '?' help button next to the 'X' close button of the Copy To Folder dialog, you should be taken to a help article that explains in more detail.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...