Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DSB
    Visitor
    • Apr 2011

Open file errors occur when doing large compares to Windows XP from Windows 7

When comparing large folders on a Windows XP machine from a Windows 7 host, the compare will fail on certain files with this error:

(timestamp) Unable to compare (file): Cannot open file "(file.ext)". The system cannot open the file

The files can be successfully compared if the large compare is broken up into comparisons of the subfolders, assuming that a subfolder is also not too large.

The only thread that I could find that referenced the above error was this one: http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...+open+the+file

The size of the folders being compared are ~17GiB. I am able to compare these folders successfully between two Windows 7 machines or if the folders are local. I have not tested Windows Vista.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. About how many files are in your pair of 17 gig folders?

Our currently tested limits are around 2.5 million files:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...z=kb_maxfilev3

Is the Windows XP 32bit? Is it running in NTFS or Fat32?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DSB
      Visitor
      • Apr 2011

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for the quick response.

The number of files in each folder is less than 10,000. Both Windows XP and Windows 7 are 64bit, and the file systems are NTFS.

Both installations of Windows are patched with the latest service packs, and I'm using the latest version of BC3 ( 3.2.4, build 13298 ).
      Last edited by DSB; 07-Apr-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the detailed info. What kind of comparison are you running? Is it a Rules-based, CRC, or Binary compare? Is it set in the Session Settings or are you running a Compare Contents command?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DSB
          Visitor
          • Apr 2011

The comparison that I am doing is a Binary Compare.

I use Show All, Compare Files and Folder Structure, wait until the background scan is complete, Select All, and then run the Compare Contents (=?) command from the toolbar.

I've attached a file showing the comparison rules used for the session which I believe are the defaults.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

A guess might be that you're hitting some kind of system limit for Windows XP. It might also be worth temporarily disabling firewall or anti-virus software on your XP computer to see if it's causing the problem.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• DSB
              Visitor
              • Apr 2011

Hi Chris,

I've tested Windows XP machines with no AV and the firewall disabled.

I'm leaning towards a system limit. I remember some time back, I believe with an older version of BC, I'd get the open file errors after one compare. Subsequent compares would produce this error: "Not enough server storage is available to process this command", which led me down a path of trying to adjust the IRP stack size to no avail.

What I can't figure out, and is the reason for me posting, is that I seem to be the only one having this issue.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

It sounds like you have tested with multiple Windows XP machines against a single Windows 7 Server? On which machine is Beyond Compare 3.2.4 running?

Is there anything specific about the network or hardware that might be non-conventional? I've tested with a WinXP and Win7 machine in the office on our own network and did not encounter any issues.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DSB
                  Visitor
                  • Apr 2011

Beyond compare is installed on my Windows 7 computer, and I'm comparing files on remote Windows XP computers.

As far as the network configuration goes, I don't believe that there is anything unusual about it. I have a five port Cisco switch connecting my Windows 7 computer with a Windows XP computer and the issue still occurs.

The network settings are as follows:

Windows 7 Machine
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Primary NIC: Company Network
                  Secondary NIC: 192.168.1.100 connected to local switch

Windows XP Machine
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Primary NIC: 192.168.1.101 connected to local switch
                  Secondary NIC: Disabled

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Just in case your computers aren't up to date, it might help to make sure both PCs are up to date on service packs and Windows updates.

If both computers are already up to date, then I don't have any other suggestions to try.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• DSB
                      Visitor
                      • Apr 2011

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...