This folder has 25,000 files in it.
    P:\Image Files root folder
    35 folders sub folders
    These sub folders have sub folders.

This folder has 24,000 files in it.
    G:\Photography root folder
    folders 1996 to
    These sub folders have sub folders.

How can I do a Folder Compare so I can see the files that are in P:\Image Files but not in G:\Photography? Then I need to delete or move them to a different folder.

I have worked on this for two days now. Would somebody please give me detailed instructions. On how to set up BC3 to achieve this?

Hello,

The issue is that the files are in different subfolders on either side, correct?

You can use the BC3 Folder Compare's View menu -> Ignore Folder Structure to remove the subfolders from the comparison and only align files based on file name. This requires that all files have unique names in all subfolders.

You can then use the Delete or Copy To Folder commands on a selection of files.

How does this work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,

The issue is that the files are in different subfolders on either side, correct?
      Correct

only align files based on file name. This requires that all files have unique names in all subfolders.
      How do I do this?

Comment

Hello,

Open your Folder Compare session, then go to the View menu -> Ignore Folder Structure.

Alternatively, there is a dropdown button on the toolbar with the same functionality (if you want quick toolbar access).
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

Open your Folder Compare session, then go to the View menu -> Ignore Folder Structure.

Alternatively, there is a dropdown button on the toolbar with the same functionality (if you want quick toolbar access).

Alternatively, there is a dropdown button on the toolbar with the same functionality (if you want quick toolbar access).[/QUOTE]

Is there any thing eles I need to do?

Now it shows me files on the right but nothing on the left. Until I scrowel down to where there are no more files on the right. Then I can see files on the left.

So what do I need to do next?

Comment

A full screen screenshot may help. Do you think you could post one?
            Otherwise, you could email it to us at support@scootersoftware.com. If you email us, please include a link back to this forum post for reference.

From what you describe, it would sound like all of the file names are different. If there are two files you think should align due to having the same file name, I suggest "Rename" them, and copy/paste each file name into the Text Compare to see if there are any differences such as a whitespace difference.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

A full screen screenshot may help. Do you think you could post one? Otherwise, you could email it to us atemail]support@scootersoftware.com[/email]. If you email us, please include a link back to this forum post for reference.

I sent you an email with a screen shot. Did you get it?

Comment

Hello,

Yes. From the selection of files in the screenshot, it does not look like any of a common name. When you ignore folder structure, the File Name must still be equal for the Folder Compare to align the files together.

Are there any two files in any of your two folders (one on the left, one on the right) that have the same name?

The screenshot's name column also is pretty narrow. I can't quite see the full names of your files.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

Yes. From the selection of files in the screenshot, it does not look like any of a common name. When you ignore folder structure, the File Name must still be equal for the Folder Compare to align the files together.

Are there any two files in any of your two folders (one on the left, one on the right) that have the same name?

The screenshot's name column also is pretty narrow. I can't quite see the full names of your files.
                  I renamed a file on both sides. That made the two files an exact duplicate. And then I renamed an other file on both sides. Now these two files an exact duplicate.

Is this what we need to do "override file alignment in folder comparison"? If this what we need. Then would explain it to me in detail. I have read other post and the help files and it doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Hello,

The basic functionality of the alignment in the Folder Compare requires the files to have the same name. If you want a fileA on the left to align to a fileA on the right, those two files must have the same name. FileA on the left will not align with FileB on the right.

If you could post a screenshot of your renamed files demonstrating the problem that would help. It sounds like once you renamed them, they aligned and detected as equal?

We have an Alignment Override option in BC3 pro, but that is designed for consistent renames. For example: if on the left you had FileA.txt and FileB.txt, and on the right you had FileA-post.txt and FileB-post.txt, and "-post" is always literally equal text, then you can define a rule to align these files. From your screenshot, it is difficult to tell since the column only shows about half of your file name and the part is shows appears to be unique ID numbers built into the file name. I would not have an Alignment Override to offer based on the current information, and from what I can see, it doesn't look like one would work.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

The basic functionality of the alignment in the Folder Compare requires the files to have the same name. If you want a fileA on the left to align to a fileA on the right, those two files must have the same name. FileA on the left will not align with FileB on the right.

If you could post a screenshot of your renamed files demonstrating the problem that would help. It sounds like once you renamed them, they aligned and detected as equal?

We have an Alignment Override option in BC3 pro, but that is designed for consistent renames. For example: if on the left you had FileA.txt and FileB.txt, and on the right you had FileA-post.txt and FileB-post.txt, and "-post" is always literally equal text, then you can define a rule to align these files. From your screenshot, it is difficult to tell since the column only shows about half of your file name and the part is shows appears to be unique ID numbers built into the file name. I would not have an Alignment Override to offer based on the current information, and from what I can see, it doesn't look like one would work.
                      Aaron I'm going to attach a file to this post and I'm going to try sending you a screen shot also.

You can see the first files that matched. I couldn't get the second match to show. But you can find it here P:\Image Files\Covington\20050101-200127-20d-0242.jpg

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the screenshot. The pair of files with the same name are aligned. Then, the comparison runs as defined in your Session Settings. By default, this would be a timestamp and size comparison. The date column on the right isn't showing all of the information, but it looks like the left file is Newer. This will mark it as red and the other side as gray for Older.

You can change this by:
                        Changing the background comparison in the Folder Compare -> Session menu -> Session Settings -> Comparison tab. Enable Binary (often fastest, most complete), CRC (faster if in Zip or FTP were CRC codes computed), or Rules-based (compares the text or pixels of your files, can have tolerance set). I would suggest using a Binary Compare. This will populate the center column with the content comparison results.

You can also right click a pair or selection and run a Compare Contents command on just the selection.

You can also double click on the pair of files, which will run a Rules-based comparison and show the details in a new tab.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                        X