X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

13298 Is there any way to find identical contents, ignoring names

How may I get BC to find files of identical content regardless of name and path?

The answer I saw here to this some time ago for another use was "Not possible", since there have been BC improvements since then, I thought is worth asking again since this would most useful to me.

Thanks.

(My current workaround is: Ignore folder structure, sort by size, manually compare each pairing of files within each group of equal size.)
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hi Chris,

Aligning based on content is on our Customer Wishlist, but is not something we support in the current version of BC3.

As is, you must align based on file name or use an Alignment Override (name rule) to align your files before comparing the content.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

Thanks.

> you must align based on file name or use an Alignment Override (name rule)
      > to align your files before comparing the content.

How can I get that to align pairs of filenames differing only in accents?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Under normal circumstances, file names with accents are considered different characters. You could define Alignment Overrides for each accent replacement, but there isn't an easy way to do this as a general case.

You'll also want to be careful to avoid the bug you found with Windows handling accented characters on FAT32, as mentioned here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ead.php?t=7543

Aligning based on content and "Touching" filenames are both on our Customer Wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

For example

Align left file: (.*)ó(.*)
          With right file: $1o$2

Of course, you would need to add replacement rules for every combination of accented characters you have in your folder structure.

@Scooter - This is another example of an area where exporting specific configurations to a bcpkg file would be nice. It would be nice to be able to export and import an entire set of replacement rules using a bcpkg without impacting any other product configurations.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
            For example

Of course, you would need to add replacement rules for every combination of accented characters you have in your folder structure.
            Please explain what you mean by "combination". E.g. to cover áéíóú v. aeiou.

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien
            @Scooter - This is another example of an area where exporting specific configurations to a bcpkg file would be nice.
            Please first can we have simply copy and paste on the list of overrides.
            Last edited by chrisjj; 27-Mar-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• chrisjj
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
              You could define Alignment Overrides for each accent replacement
              Could you give an example please? Michael's works only for a single occurence of the given character.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello Chris,

My entire quote is:
                "You could define Alignment Overrides for each accent replacement, but there isn't an easy way to do this as a general case."

I'm just listing the different ways Beyond Compare 3 currently supports aligning files in case other users stumble across this forum post for reference. I do not think Alignment Overrides meets your needs as a general case; the best we can offer is for you to create specific rules as you need them.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Added your notes on both copying replacements and exporting/importing to our Customer Wishlist.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
                    My entire quote is:
                    "You could define Alignment Overrides for each accent replacement, but there isn't an easy way to do this as a general case."
                    I don't require an easy way. Even a difficult way is going to be a big improvement on doing it by manual align pairs, so again, I'd like an example, please.
                    Last edited by chrisjj; 28-Mar-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Michael's example is specific:

You could expand it by adding more characters, such as
                      Align left file: (.*)ó(.*)é(.*)
                      With right file: $1o$2e$3
                      and
                      Align left file: (.*)é(.*)ó(.*)
                      With right file: $1e$2o$3
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                        Carpal Tunnel
                        • Apr 2008

Align left file: (.*)ó(.*)é(.*)
                        Thanks, I already saw Michael's specific "(.*)ó(.*)" and your "(.*)ó(.*)é(.*)" is more specific.

Do you have an example of a general-case solution?

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Hello Chris,

Sorry, I saw your originally posted question. I must have been answering as you were editing. You had originally asked:
                          "Still I'd like an example, even specific. Guessing through the still-undocumented AO regexp format is not getting me very far."

So, yes, the example I gave is a more specific example to cover 2 characters instead of 1.

Originally posted by chrisjj
                          Do you have an example of a general-case solution?
                          Unfortunately, no. As I mentioned before: "I'm just listing the different ways Beyond Compare 3 currently supports aligning files in case other users stumble across this forum post for reference. I do not think Alignment Overrides meets your needs as a general case; the best we can offer is for you to create specific rules as you need them."
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                            Carpal Tunnel
                            • Apr 2008

> Unfortunately, no.

OK thanks.

Note that for every e.g. "(.*)ó(.*)é(.*)" one would need a transposed version. Hence even a hundred entries could cover only two occurrences of the five vowels.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                              Carpal Tunnel
                              • Oct 2007

If you have a folder structure that is important enough to align in this way, it really shouldn't be such a big effort:

Create a file filter that only displays files with accented vowels.
                              Create an alignment override for the top file in the list
                              Alter your file filter so that all files matching the new rule are hidden.

Repeat the last two steps until you have no more accented vowel patterns to create overrides for. Save a copy of your final file filter so that you can check for new patterns that need overrides the next time you have a need to compare your folder structures.
                              BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Working...