Ignoring Orphan Folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignoring Orphan Folders

I often have need to compare the contents of folders where they exist on both sides of the compare. In other words, I want to see orphan files in common folders, but I do not want to see orphan folders or their contents. When I expand all, I don't want to have to go back and collapse all of the orphan folders that are out of the context of my compare. Would you consider adding another option to the folder display filter dropdown... the new progression, as I envision it, might look something like this:

* Always Show Folders
    + Compare Files and Folder Structure
    - Only Compare Files
    = Only Compare Files in Common Folders
    ĝ Ignore Folder Structure
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

That would affect all orphan folders right? That is, you don't want it limited to just filtering top-level orphans?
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Yes, that is correct. All orphan folders (and their contents) would be excluded at any level.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Maybe seperated filters for files and folders would do the trick? There could be two toolbars/command levels for Display Filters (files) and Folder Filters (same icons with underlaying folder icon).

Greetings Lutz

Comment

I am trying to create a script to report all orphan files as well but without the folders, did you manage to do that?

Comment

No, I don't know how to automatically exclude the contents of orphan folders to list only orphan files in common folders...hence the enhancement request.

From the GUI, you can probably view all orphan files, manually collapse orphan folders, select the remaining orphan files, then generate a Folder Compare report. I haven't tried it, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

I discovered that these folders are not orphans.. but the script shows all folders without the files in them, then only orphan files

Comment

Are you currently using the View menu -> Always Show Folders view option? It is also a toolbar dropdown button next to the Display Filters.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Total agreement

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
                  I often have need to compare the contents of folders where they exist on both sides of the compare. In other words, I want to see orphan files in common folders, but I do not want to see orphan folders or their contents. When I expand all, I don't want to have to go back and collapse all of the orphan folders that are out of the context of my compare. Would you consider adding another option to the folder display filter dropdown... the new progression, as I envision it, might look something like this:

* Always Show Folders
                  + Compare Files and Folder Structure
                  - Only Compare Files
                  ĝ Ignore Folder Structure
                  Yes, that's exactly what I need.
                  It's quite a common need I think. I hope it will be implemented soon, especially thinking that a competitor product, Ultra Compare, already has a "Hide unique folders" filter (and also a "Hide common folders")

Comment

I am also interested by this option... but by hiding only the top-level orphan folders (as Craig asked above).

So I would add:
                    Code:
                    1 Only Compare Files in Top-Level Common Folders
                    Michel.
                    Last edited by mdes; 22-Aug-2011, 06:54 AM.
                    Michel Dessaintes
                    Modérateur du Forum Francophone & Traducteur Officiel de BC2/BC3/BC4 en Français

Comment

Hey Team Scooter.

Did the "common folders" view option get added to the roadmap yet?
                      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Yup, it's on there, but there are several other high priority projects currently in queue in front of it. Sorry we haven't had an update sooner.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                        X