• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Blumuze,

Here's how to line up the .wave files with the .mp3 files:

Open the two folders in the BC3 Pro Folder Compare.
    Put the .wav folder on the left and the .mp3 folder on the right.
    Select "Session > Session Settings".
    Go to the "Misc" tab.
    In the Alignment overrides section, click New.
    For left file or folder, enter *.wav
    For right file or folder, enter *.mp3
    Click OK twice.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• blumuze
      Visitor
      • Apr 2011

Thanks Chris!

Comment

• Arbie
        Journeyman
        • Jun 2009

Here's another reason to make it easier...

I have needed - but done without - this functionality for a long time. I couldn't find an "ignore extensions" button or checkbox, so I figured the program couldn't do it. Something so general would be obvious if it was there, right?

Finally, doing without it was costing me so much extra work that I decided to suggest the feature - and found this thread.

So now I understand that with enough expert knowledge, and being willing to add a whole nest of rules, the users of Pro can make BC "ignore extensions". Which takes me back to what I came here to do...

Please add "Ignore Extensions".

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

I keep to hand BC2 for this feature. Perhaps SS can let you have a copy.

Comment

• jmhays
            Visitor
            • Nov 2009

Has "Ignore Extensions" been added as a feature for basic 3.x yet or do I need to upgrade to the Pro version and try to use the Alignment overrides to compare my FLAC music files to my .MP3 music files to ensure they match?

Comment

• chrisjj
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jmhays
              Has "Ignore Extensions" been added as a feature for basic 3.x
              Not as far as this user can see on the latest version, V14431.

Comment

• jmhays
                Visitor
                • Nov 2009

Thanks, I was just checking. This is an old thread with a topic relavant to me and I did not know if it had yet been addressed.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

You can test the Alignment Overrides feature first (before purchase) using the steps in this KB article to trial Pro mode:
                  http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro

Since Tim's last update, adding a more generic Ignore File Extension is still on our Wishlist.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• JohnFLand
                    Expert
                    • Jun 2008

On a somewhat related note, is there a way, using the Pro version, to both (1) align files of different extensions (e.g., *.mp3 and *.flac) and (2) then view ONLY the files that are aligned (thus ignoring other files in the compared directories)?

John Land

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Hi John,

Beyond Compare doesn't have a setting that will only show aligned files, but you could use a name filter to only show files with the *.mp3 and *.flac file extensions. Either enter "*.mp3;*.flac" into the filters toolbar, or enter filters in the "Name Filters" tab of Session > Session Settings.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• JohnFLand
                        Expert
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Chris
                        Hi John,

Beyond Compare doesn't have a setting that will only show aligned files, but you could use a name filter to only show files with the *.mp3 and *.flac file extensions. Either enter "*.mp3;*.flac" into the filters toolbar, or enter filters in the "Name Filters" tab of Session > Session Settings.
                        Thanks, but that's of very limited use where both sides have many true matches with the desired extensions, and a subset of aligned "forced" matches -- they all show, when I really want to see only the forced matches -- for example, to change ".rar" to ".zip" when the extension is wrong for some files on one side (e.g., a backup drive) but have been fixed on the other side (e.g., the primary data drive). So please consider "view only aligned files" as a feature request (and a vote from me also for a "rename files" function, similar to the date/time touch function).

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

I'll add these notes to our Customer Wishlist, John.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• maurice
                            Enthusiast
                            • Jan 2008

Another use case

I have BC3 Standard (and have some experience with alignment options in Pro), but I use BC2 daily because unimportant text "grammar" rules are so much easier to get to. I haven't used the ignore file extensions option in BC2 before now, but it worked exactly as I expected and needed it to!

I wanted to do a binary compare to validate a large number of folder zip archives named
                            FolderABC --vs-- FolderABC.zip.

In BC2 this alignment requires two checkbox options:
                            "Always treate archive files as folders" (which is in both BC2 & 3), and
                            "Ignore file extensions" (BC2 only - as we all know by now)

Unfortunately, the zip file of folder has the folder itself within. So, even though BC2 easily aligns the folderABC == folderABC.zip, I still have to open the zip and set the folder within as the base folder for the compare to proceed
                            i.e.: folderABC == folderABC.zip\folderABC

I agree completely that the "EZ" option of ignore all extensions should be added back to the std version with the ability to customize extension mapping only in Pro. But I would also love to see BC handle fully opening folder zips when the folder within has the same name.

One more comment, even without the "ignore extension" option on BC3 std, the folders and folder-zips are put on adjacent lines if "treat zips as folders" is checked. I still have to manually match the folder to the zip and then set the (sub)folder as the base, but the binary compare is dramatically faster (for me) in BC3.

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll append these notes as well.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• gollumullog
                                New User
                                • Aug 2015

Is this feature in BC4 for Mac? I don't see it.

Comment

Working...