One portable install per project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One portable install per project

Apropos my other-post need for a session (and probably a workspace) to be stored in a specified HD location for project control, does anyone have any experience of using a BC portable install in each project directory? Any gotchas specifici to BC? (i.e. apart from general issues like security of including a .exe)

Thanks.

The other issue you may run into is that Portable installs are single directory installs. If you decide to configure or change BC3 in any way, those changes will not propagate to your other installs. Also, if you decide to update to a newer version you will have to update them individually.

Instead, you may want to Keep an Archived Settings file (exported) and/or a Portable install with each Project, but actively use a central install that can store all of these sessions, workspaces and be kept up to date.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> The other issue you may run into is that Portable installs are single directory
      > installs. If you decide to configure or change BC3 in any way, those changes
      > will not propagate to your other installs. Also, if you decide to update to a
      > newer version you will have to update them individually.

I'd figures I could like with that ... maybe.

> Instead ... actively use a central install that can
      > store all of these sessions, workspaces and be kept up to date.

I cannot see how that can work. Two projects each having a session of the same name session would cause a clash in the central install.

Comment

Working...
      X