11282 Extra items, blank Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11282 Extra items, blank Size

On This Vista machine, BC shows more folders than does Explorer having hidden files displayed, shows an error on these folders, and most importantly the errors on folders inside root folders is apparently inhibiting the Size column.

I am trying to use BC to see folder sizes (to track down a disc space glutton).

Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi Chris,

On Windows Vista and Windows 7 some folders are actually junction points for compatibility. One example is "c:\documents and settings". On Windows Vista it is a junction point that links to the new location "c:\users". BC3 displays these compatibility junction points but can't open them.

The only way to filter these out in BC 3.1.9 is with a filename filter. Adding an option to filter out all of the compatibility junction points is on our wish list for a future release of BC3.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      The only way to filter these out in BC 3.1.9 is with a filename filter.
      That does not solve the Size problem. I.e. Size fails to show for a folder that contains no visible errored folders at any level, but contains a filename-filtered-out errored folder.

Any other workaround?

I find that the filter DOS Atrributes -System fails to these exclude errored system folders. Bug?
      Last edited by chrisjj; 18-Jan-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I'm not aware of a workaround for the size issue. Attribute filters are for files only so they won't filter out the junction points. Filtering based on folder attributes is also on our wish list.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I'm not aware of a workaround for the size issue.
          OK, thanks.
          Attribute filters are for files only so they won't filter out the junction points. Filtering based on folder attributes is also on our wish list.
          OK. Meanwhile you could address the fact UI and Help do not accord - there is nothing to indicate that these filters do not apply to all objects.

Thanks again for your help.

PS I often use FC as an Explorer substitute hence would like a one-sided view.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
            Meanwhile you could address the fact UI and Help do not accord - there is nothing to indicate that these filters do not apply to all objects.
            On the contrary, the help file is rather specific:

Originally posted by Help File - Folder Compare Other Filters
            You can exclude files from a Folder Compare session based on criteria other than their names...
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761
            ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

Not exclusive But yes, sorry I overlooked that. Regardless the UI labelling gives every impression that the filter applies to all objects, so I suggest it be clarified.

Comment

Working...
              X