Looping in synching Windows 7 64-bit library

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looping in synching Windows 7 64-bit library

I'm using BC 3.1.8 under Windows 7 64-bit Professional. When I try to sync my C drive to a backup disk, I get a succession of messages of the form:

Unable to copy c:\Documents and Settings\glenn\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG2: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

I understand the "cannot access" error because it comes up regularly, but the long succession of \Application Data\... is new (since I've been using Win7-64-bit vs. XP-32-bit). The target directory just grows and grows until I notice and stop the sync or until it runs out of disk space and stops.

I suspect it is a self-referential "feature" of the Windows 7 Application Data "library", and perhaps not a BC3 problem, but this is where it came up.

Any help on this would be sincerely appreciated.

Glenn VanBlaricum

Hello,

Did you perform an Upgrade install to Windows 7 64bit from another OS? Do you have a Documents and Settings folder on your C:\ if viewed in Beyond Compare? or if viewed in My Computer?

As a workaround, I would recommend using filters to filter out the trouble folder to prevent it from attempting to copy.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

More on syncing in Windows 7

Aaron:

I installed Windows 7 into a clean partition.

As to "Do I have a Documents and Settings directory visible to BC or My Computer?": Yes to both. But since posting the question I've discovered that it is really a "junction," which I take to be a redirector to another folder, but I admit that I may be wrong since I've known about junctions for maybe ten minutes. And I probably misused "library" in my original question.

Now I guess that the true problem relates to the file: \users\glenn\appdata\local\Application Data.

This is also a junction, but it points to the directory it lies in (...\local), and that might be the cause of the multiple recursions that BC 3.1.8 is encountering.

I'll take your advice for now with using a filter to block accessing that path. However, since Windows 7 seems to use a lot of junctions, maybe there's a more general solution that will be needed when more users switch to Win 7 and stumble into the same issue.

Thanks very much for your help. BC is a great tool!

Glenn

Comment

Working...
      X