Folder view shows importadifferences on files containing only unimportant differences

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casterle
    Journeyman
    • Jul 2009

Folder view shows importadifferences on files containing only unimportant differences

When I compare two C++ source code folders, files that are different in any respect are displayed in red with the not equal sign - even those with only unimportant differences. After I open and close the text compare window, the not equal sign changes to an unimportant differences sign an dthe filenames are displayed in black as expected.

The “ignore unimportant differences button” is pressed (by default) in both the folder and text views.

Is this an error, or do I perhaps have something set improperly?

I am using the most recent version of BC 3 on WinXP Pro SP3.

TIA
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

BC defaults to comparing the timestamp and size of files in the Folder Compare. When you open files in the Text Compare and return to the Folder Compare, BC updates the display with the result of the rules-based comparison of the file contents. This is why the comparison result changes.

To make BC3 compare the text contents of your files without needing to open them in the Text Compare, select "Session > Session Settings". Go to the "Comparison" tab. Check "Compare contents" and select "rules-based comparison".
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

After looking at your post again, I realize you're already doing some type of content comparison. The results you describe can happen if you're using one of the other content comparison types like CRC or binary in the Folder Compare. If setting rules-based criteria doesn't solve the problem, also make sure you're running our current version BC 3.1.7.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• casterle
        Journeyman
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Chris
        After looking at your post again, I realize you're already doing some type of content comparison. The results you describe can happen if you're using one of the other content comparison types like CRC or binary in the Folder Compare. If setting rules-based criteria doesn't solve the problem, also make sure you're running our current version BC 3.1.7.
        Your suggestion to use rules compare seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

Comment

Working...