File Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Selection

Frequently I compare large volumes containing tens of thousands of files using binary compare and these can run very long to completion. I only want to delete identical files on one side which is running out of space so time is of the essence. If I use the "Select All Files" button, it will select both those files that have already completed comparison and those that have yet to be compared (gray). Is there a way to only select those that have completed comparison so I don't delete any that may not pass that test? Thanx!

If you change your view settings to "Show Same" doesn't it hide everything that hasn't been compared yet?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

Nope. Just tried it. They still show up.

Comment

Which version of Beyond Compare are you using? Also you would need to expand your folders first before using the Select All Files command. Could you send a screenshot of your screen mid-compare, with the Display Filter set, to support@scootersoftware.com ?

Also, please include a link back to this forum post.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Files with an unknown comparison status are always visible unless the display filter is set to one of the "Only orphans" types.

In answer to your question, there isn't an easy way to do so. The current release does support clicking the header for the center column to sort by comparison status, so you could sort and select by hand, but obviously that won't work well if there are folders involved.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Using version 3.16 Build 10721. I'll send the screenshot. Thanx!

Comment

Actually that does help a little. Thanx! Still arduous but better than before.

Comment

I've suggested several times in the past that it would be helpful to have more items in dropdown menus to do special selections:

Select Equal Files
                Select Files with Differences
                etc.

The Scooter mindset has been to use the View modes to limit the visible files to the desired subset before selecting... Obviously that does not work if you have "unknown" files in the mix. Perhaps this is another reason to consider adding a couple more select commands... so you could safely select files that have already been compared and leave the others alone...
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761
                ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

Working...
                X