10721 Mystery uncleared mismatches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10721 Mystery uncleared mismatches

I did a content comparision giving many mismatches, then changed the Sessions Settings Comparison as shown and F5-ed update... and though most mistmaches disappeared, mysteriously they did not for two files that do appear to meet the new match criteria:

Any idea why?

Exit, relaunch and reload session shows the correct result:

I confess to never being 100% clear on the interaction between Quick and Content compare, so please forgive me if I have misunderstood.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 14-Sep-2009, 06:09 PM.

It is difficult to tell you steps from your current screenshots. Please include the display filters and other filters in the toolbar at the top of the screen.

I did a content comparision giving many mismatches, then changed the Sessions Settings Comparison
    How did you trigger your first Content Comparison (before your first screenshot, and before changing the session settings)?

One possible explination: If the display filters are set to hide mismatched files, and the scan is performed after the filter is set, we do not immediately hide the files scanned. This is by design, to keep files from disappearing from view immediately before displaying the results of the scan to the user. If you re-click the display filter, it will re-apply the filter and hide any files that are now in conflict with the rules. This is not necessarily what happened, but a possible explination.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> It is difficult to tell you steps from your current screenshots. Please
      > include the display filters and other filters in the toolbar
      Will do next time.

> How did you trigger your first Content Comparison (before your first
      > screenshot, and before changing the session settings)?

Double-click - to Hex Compare.

> One possible explination: If the display filters are set to hide mismatched
      > files, and the scan is performed after the filter is set, we do not
      > immediately hide the files scanned.

If "scan" refers to my F5 Refresh, then this does not square with the fact only some mismatches remained.

Can you think of anything that would discriminate between indistinguished mismatches?

Comment

If a content comparison is done and the files are marked as different (the two affected files have the "not equal" symbol in the center column), the files are always considered differences, regardless of comparison criteria. You need to use Full Refresh (Ctrl+F5) to clear the comparison results.
        ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
          If a content comparison is done and the files are marked as different ... You need to use Full Refresh (Ctrl+F5) to clear the comparison results.
          Hmmm... that does not square with the fact some mismatches disappeared (on plain Refresh).

Comment

Then I assume the files were modified externally. In that case the refresh would detect that change and clear out the previous content comparison. Without seeing a screenshot pre-refresh, I can't imagine anything else it would be.
            ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

> Then I assume the files were modified externally.

They weren't. None were.

> Without seeing a screenshot pre-refresh, I can't imagine anything else it
              > would be.

OK, thanks. Next time it happens, I'll do my best to take a screenshot previously

Comment

Working...
              X