X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Michael,

It certainly is something to consider. The first thing I think of, though, is all of the users who are confused over our Find Left, or Find Left/Right Dialog. Some people may wonder why when they right click on an overall selection why it (appears to) arbitrarily choose left or right for them. I, personally, lean a bit more towards "it should behave differently", but I am undecided as to how.

It is also a matter of time and scheduling it. Even though it appears trivial, we'll still want to QA the process to make sure we don't introduce any odd behavior.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
      The first thing I think of, though, is all of the users who are confused over our Find Left, or Find Left/Right Dialog.
      The confusion in the Find dialog could easily be reduced as demonstrated in this post. Label the option as Current (with "Left" or "Right" in parentheses) and it becomes self-explanatory (see screenshot).
      This could easily be implemented even without the rest of my sticky search enhancement request.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim
        We are not ignoring context: The actionable context is the entire selection. You're suggesting that a secondary context influence the dialog.
        Since I ran into this again today, I'll share my experience. In my opinion, the actionable context is incorrect because because Ctrl+A does not remain confined to the side that has focus. I've mentioned before that I would prefer Ctrl+A to set the context:
        Click in left pane, Ctrl+A selects All in left pane only
        Click in right pane, Ctrl+A selects All in right pane only
        Click in center column between panes, Ctrl+A selects All on both sides
        If Ctrl+A worked in this way, I would rarely run into the situation where I am trying to copy from one side to the other with both sides selected. Since Ctrl+A always selects everything on both sides, BC3 has already failed to set the actionable context on my first attempt.

When I open the context menu from the right side to initialize the copy files direction to be right to left, BC3 fails to update the actionable context a second time. This is why the current functionality is doubly frustrating to me. I've already attempted to set the context twice, and am forced to take yet one more step to correct the situation.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Tim
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

I prefer to keep it like this:

Ctrl+A selects all
          Ctrl+A, Shift+Left Arrow selects left side
          Ctrl+A, Shift+Right Arrow selects right side
          Last edited by Tim; 09-May-2008, 09:08 AM.
          Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• RunnerBiker
            Expert
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Tim

Ctrl+A selects all
            Cool, I didn't know about the Shift+Left Arrow and Shift+ Right Arrow. I guess I need to spend some more time reading the help files.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim

Ctrl+A selects all
              Yes, I know you do. That is why it would be nice if more priority were given to letting the side of the right-click initialize the direction of a file copy... for those of us who do not prefer the BC3 implementation of Ctrl+A. It forces me to do extra keypresses for every file copy, keypresses that would be unnecessary with the implementation of the enhancement request in this thread.
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Oct 2007

By the way, a wishlist item I would have is for a Tweak to change the Ctrl+A functionality.
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• markf_2748
                  Expert
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Tim

Ctrl+A selects all
                  I don't have a problem with this trick. Once you have made a selection, use of the arrow keys can be very handy and is perferctly logical. But here are two other suggestions that I would find just a little easier (more direct) at times. They are compatible with each other as well as with current behavior:

Suggestion 1:
                  Select anything on left side. Then <Shift> <Select All> selects everything visible on the left side.
                  Select anything on right side. Then <Shift> <Select All> selects everything visible on the right side.

Suggestion 2:
                  <Control><Select All> selects everything visible on left, no matter what the current selection.
                  <Alt><Select All> selects everything visible on right, no matter what the current selection.

Analagous behavior for <Select All Files>.
                  A consistent set of keyboard shortcuts would require some thought.

Last edited by markf_2748; 12-Jul-2008, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...