No announcement yet.

10554 Corrupt display of accented zipped filename char

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> There was a regression in 3.1.4 on non-US systems, and it will be fixed in
    > the next release. Once it's fixed BC will display your zip correctly.

Thanks.

> but the situation is complex, and I don't think that makes us wrong.

Scooter Software advertises BC3 as "ideal for comparing zip files" whilst knowing about zip compatibility problems not mentioned anywhere in the user docs AFAICT. Could Do Better, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
      My tests results differ. On this Windows XP Home SP2 (territory unidentifiied on My Computer, General), in Explorer I select a file, press F2, and type SHIFT+AltGr+A, ENTER. The file is renamed to Á.
      The list of unsupported characters for Western European countries is fairly small. The specific ones that BC can store that Explorer can't are: € Š š Œ œ Ž ž Ÿ plus a bunch of non-alpha characters like “ and —. In Eastern Europe the differences are all non-alpha. In the US there are 34 alpha characters that BC can store that Explorer can't.

I mentioned it previously, but to reiterate, the intended behavior is for BC to be compatible with Explorer as much as possible. v3.1.4 has a bug that broke that behavior, and it will be fixed in 3.1.5, so any testing you do in 3.1.4 is a waste of time. When everything is working correctly the only time you'll see differences is when you use the characters above or line drawing characters (╠ ┬ ▒).
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

> The specific ones that BC can store that Explorer can't are: € Š š Œ œ Ž ž
        > Ÿ plus a bunch of non-alpha characters like “ and —.
        > ... When everything is working correctly the only time you'll see differences is
        > when you use the characters above or line drawing characters (╠ ┬
        > ▒).

Good to hear. I look forward to the fix.

Comment

> There was a regression in 3.1.4 on non-US systems, and it will be fixed in
          > the next release.

No fixed regression found in the changelog, but yes I find this problem fixed:

Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X