Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10374 deleting a folder on FTP gives errors

See next message.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 01-Jul-2009, 08:17 PM.

10374 many failures to delete from FTP

How come my FTP delete operation completed with only 2 errors, but "Failed to delete 1030 items."? log [EDIT:] sent to support@scootersoftware.com .
    Last edited by chrisjj; 29-Jun-2009, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Maybe one of the errors was a lost connection?

BTW, the link you provided doesn't open a log... it opens a sign up/login screen for sendspace.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

> Maybe one of the errors was a lost connection?

No, they were:

2009-06-28 22:05:29 Recv> 550 [helpme] PC PSU: No such file or directory
        2009-06-28 22:05:29 Unable to delete ftp://chrisjj@ftp.cjj1.com/CJJBackup...Ameol2/Attach/[helpme] PC PSU: [helpme] PC PSU: No such file or directory

2009-06-28 22:07:42 Recv> 550 Data: Directory not empty
        2009-06-28 22:07:42 Unable to delete ftp://chrisjj@ftp.cjj1.com/CJJBackup...t/Ameol2/Data: Data: Directory not empty

> BTW, the link you provided doesn't open a log... it opens
        > a sign up/login screen for sendspace.

Thanks... strange, since here it open a page with:
        This is the download page for:
        Name: temp.txt
        Size: 814KB
        The download link is located below.
        You are not logged in.
        I've emailed the log to support.
        Last edited by chrisjj; 29-Jun-2009, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Hello Chris,

I've looked over your log file you sent and had a few questions:
          For Error 1: No such file or directory
          Is "ftp://chrisjj@ftp.cjj1.com/CJJBackup...Ameol2/Attach/[helpme] PC PSU" a file or a directory and any details about it? Did it appear before you started the command in the Folder Compare pane? Was it visible after the command? Can you navigate into it if it is a directory or view it if it is a file?

For Error 2:
          Directory not empty
          Is the directory not empty at the time the command is issued? Is it not empty at the end of the sync? Could there be hidden or filtered items in the directory? If you turn on additional Listing options under the FTP profile, do additional files show up in this directory?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> Is "ftp://chrisjj@ftp.cjj1.com/CJJBackup...Ameol2/Attach/[helpme] PC PSU"
            > a file or a directory and any details about it?

Unknown.

> Did it appear before you started the command in the Folder Compare
            > pane?

No.

> Was it visible after the command?

No.

> Can you navigate into it if it is a directory or view it if it is a file?

Now? No because it is deleted.

> Is the directory not empty at the time the command is issued?

Unknown.

> Is it not empty at the end of the sync?

Unknown.

> Could there be hidden or filtered items in the directory?

No. And anyway how could that cause "Failed to delete 1030 items."??

> If you turn on additional Listing options under the FTP profile,
            > do additional files show up in this directory?

This directory is now deleted.

Comment

Can you reproduce this behavior with another pair of folders?

To clarify: the folder/files (unknown) were deleted, even though the FTP log stated there was an error when attempting to delete? Did you delete them after the fact, or did they delete successfully even though the log stated an error?
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> Can you reproduce this behavior with another pair of folders?

I was able to.

> To clarify: the folder/files (unknown) were deleted, even though
                > the FTP log stated there was an error when attempting to delete?

I can say only that they were not present after operation completion.

> Did you delete them after the fact

No.

> or did they delete successfully even though the log stated an error?

Unknown, not least because I don't actually know whether they were present initially.

Comment

Thanks, Chrisjj. Are you able to setup a test folder, where you can reproduce the error and verify the setup steps we would need to take to recreate this?:
                  -Are they files or folders? Is there anything unique about them that causes it to consistantly happen to them specifically, or is it different files/folder each time you attempt the delete?
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> Are you able to setup a test folder, where you can reproduce the error and
                    > verify the setup steps we would need to take to recreate this?:

Sorry, no, I don't have time right now.

> -Are they files or folders?

As I said, unknown.

> Is there anything unique about them that causes it to consistantly happen
                    > to them specifically, or is it different files/folder each time you attempt the
                    > delete?

I only attempted this specific delete once. And since it did succeed, have no chance to repeat.

Comment

I noticed you deleted the text of this merged post. I know you consider these two separate issues, but troubleshooting one should help us solve the other. I merged the posts because we have to figure out what caused the error in your folders, to then help determine why you received an odd error count.

Normally I prefer separate posts per error, but these two are related in steps of reproduction (which you do not have time to test right now).
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> I noticed you deleted the text of this merged post.

I thought I had in error submitted Reply instead of New Thread. Deleting that Reply text (having reposted it as New Topic) was the only way I could find this forum would let me correct that.

> I merged the posts

It would have been nice for you to say.

> these two are related in steps of reproduction (which
                        > you do not have time to test right now).

And do you?
                        Last edited by chrisjj; 27-Jul-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I'm still getting delete errors quite often e.g.

2009-09-16 00:03:25 Recv> 220 IPOWER FTP Server ready

See how a retry succeeded.

EDIT: Then I started a copy of three folders to FTP, cancelled, delete the two that had appeard on FTP - got two errors. You may find this a reproducable case of this whole issue.
                          Last edited by chrisjj; 15-Sep-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X