filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filters

Sorry if this is a repeat, but how can I specify file filters for root folder to include only certain files, with sub-folders as normal? Thanks.

Use .\filename.ext in your file filters instead of just filename.ext
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Hello Chris,

You use specific includes like Michael suggets, and also an include for all files that contain at least one subfolder, and then 0 or more additional subfolders as your Include File filters:
      .\*.txt
      .\*.bak
      .\*\...\*
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> also an include for all files that contain at least one subfolder
        > .\*\...\*

Just the ticket - thanks both.

But /please/ could this and any other secret filter specs be covered in Help?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.

The Help File has an article under Settings Reference: Session Settings: Folder Compare: Name filters. This article has a link to the File Masks that you can use.

I'll see if we can help expose this a bit more easily in the Help.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> The Help File has an article under Settings Reference: Session Settings:
            > Folder Compare: Name filters. This article has a link to the File Masks that
            > you can use.

Thanks but I see nothing there that covers .\*\...\*

Where did I miss it?

Comment

Everything is covered in the "File Masks" topic. .\*\...\* isn't some secret incantation, it's just a combination of different stuff. ".\" means it has to start at the base folder, "*" means there has to be at least one folder in the path, "..." is zero or more parents, and the last "*" matches any filename. Combining those together means it matches any file with at least one parent folder, matching from the root.
              Zo P Scooter Software

Comment

> .\*\...\* isn't some secret incantation, it's just a combination of different stuff.

Thanks.

> Everything is covered in the "File Masks" topic.

I beg to differ. There is no mention, example or even implication that '...' can go anywhere but at the beginning, or can be combined with '.'.

Relative file masks affect files or folders in specific locations.

p\f f must be in folder p.

.\f f must be in the base folder.

...\f f may have zero or more parent folders.

Comment

Working...
                X