Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

File copies / Case differences

\\Server1\Path\FILE Being Compared.txt
    \\Server2\Path\File being compared.txt

Scenario 1:

Two folders, two different versions of the same file. Case in Long Filenames are different. When I copy from one side to the other, the filenames remain different.

Suggestion: After a file copy in a Windows environment, check to see if the target file has the same case letters as the source file and, if not, rename the target file to match the source file (or prompt the user to ask whether or not the filename should be "touched").

Scenario 2:

Same file exists in two different paths, but one has been renamed using different case letters:

It would be nice if there were a way to touch the filename on one side to match the filename on the other without copying the file or manually renaming the file.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe the standard convention is that replacing a file doesn't change its filename case. We may be adding a "Copy Special" command that offers additional options and perhaps we can add "Copy filename case". And perhaps a "Copy from other side" could be added to the Rename dialog.

We'll add these to the wishlist.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Marjolein Katsma
      Expert
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Tim
      I believe the standard convention is that replacing a file doesn't change its filename case.
      Yes, in Windows at least, if you copy a file over another with the same name where only case is different, the file name retains the case of the pre-existing copy.

That said, an extra option to do it differently (effectively following file copy with a rename) might be handy.

Comment

• PaulGrace
        New User
        • Aug 2021

Just reviving this request. I currently have to delete all the target files and recopy just to rename them in Windows 10

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks. A command to touch the file name (similar to copying the modified timestamp) is something still on our wishlist.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...