• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ganttictemp
    Visitor
    • Jul 2018

Folder Merge with multiple folders

Hi all!

Is there a way to merge multiple folders into one? I should be able to preserve folder structure as I may have duplicated filenames in different subfolders.

Folder1\AAAA\file1
    Folder1\AAAA\file2
    Folder2\AAAA\file3
    Folder2\BBBB\file1
    Folder3\CCCC\file1
    Folder4\AAAA\file4

I could merge 2 folders and then swith to another 2 and so on... but I have hundreds. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Folder Merge session is designed to work with 3 inputs from a version control like system (where the center is a common ancestor of the Left and Right sides). If all sides are equally weighted inputs, you probably want to use the Folder Compare session instead, and copy from one side into the other, or use the Copy To Folder command to copy to a 3rd Output location (which has options for preserving the subfolder structure).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ganttictemp
      Visitor
      • Jul 2018

Thank you!

The only way I see it is getting every folder one by one. Either if I use Merge or Folder Compare. Probably I'm missing something. Copy to Folder won't work for me (I think) becasue I will have Folder1 Folder2 Folder3 in my destination. What I would like to have is someething like:

\AAAA\file1
      \AAAA\file2
      \AAAA\file3
      \BBBB\file1
      \CCCC\file1
      \AAAA\file4

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

If AAA\ and BBB\ are selectable subfolders, and you need to move content such as file3 from folder1\aaa\ into folder2\aaa, that will need to be a manual step. The Copy To Folder's "Keep relative folder structure" option almost works for this scenario, but would have trouble with this step. If you open the Copy to Folder dialog, and click the '?' Help button next to close, you can see an example article of how this would work if AAA\ was always within Folder1.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ganttictemp
          Visitor
          • Jul 2018

Thanks again. For now we are merging folders in pairs, I was just wandering if there was a way to do it at once. Maybe we need to try some alternatives.

Comment

Working...