Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to find out the problem when comparing forever/looping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find out the problem when comparing forever/looping?

As many times in the past I compared a folder tree on an external hard disk 1 against the corresponding folder tree on an external hard disk 2.

Since a few days I noticed a problem.
    In folder compare view the red toolbar icon with the white "x" is blinking forever.
    Normally the comparison process is automatically finished after 2 Minutes or so.

Now how do I find out the problem?

At first I want to know on which hard disk resp. the connection to which external hard disk causes the problem.

Moreover a hint at which file BC is looping would be helpful
    But no info is shown.

How can I find out if it is a simple (NTFS software) format problem or a hardware bad-sector problem?

Both hard disks are currently mounted as a drive and accessible through Windows explorer (from Win 7).
    So at least 99,99% of all files seem ok.

Unfortunately there is no progress indicator as well similar to "231551 files of 5324226 files already compared"

Can I found out somehow if there is still some progress?
    Possibly BC slow down access/read speed because of bad connection/heavy network load.
    ...just an idea

Peter
    Last edited by pxstein; 11-Nov-2015, 02:55 AM.

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

If the icon is blinking, then there is still a process in the background that is running. Often this is either a longer-than-expected scan, or we are waiting for a timeout (OS controlled).

Are either of your external devices accessed over the network? If so, it is likely a timeout and you'll need to wait about 1-2 minutes for the OS to tell us the device is not available. This is generally the same amount of time it takes for Explorer to time out and pop-up its dialog.

As for a change in behavior, if you double check your Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab, is Rules-based, CRC, or Binary enabled? What colors are the folders in the main comparison, and do any change color from white while you wait? If you wait 10+ minutes, do you see a change?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X