18414 Problem binary comparing large file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18414 Problem binary comparing large file

Anyone succeeded in binary comparing a 300Gb file on Win7?

When I binary compared a ~300Gb file, progress ran until 86%, where it ceased, and has shown Waiting for the last ten hours:

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img540/4064/bj6c7f.png

EDIT: both drives are on USB.

Retrying on BC4...
    Last edited by chrisjj; 04-Aug-2014, 03:57 PM.

300Gb is larger than I think we've tested inside our company. The largest files I routinely compare or copy are virtual machine files that are in the 20-40GB range.

For the problem 300GB file, are either of the drives network drives, or is the comparison limited to internal and USB drives?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      300Gb is larger than I think we've tested inside our company.
      OK, thanks.

For the problem 300GB file, are either of the drives network drives, or is the comparison limited to internal and USB drives?
      The comparison is limited to USB drives.

EDIT: PS Forgive me for asking, but am I correct in assuming that this operation is not trying to load the whole 300Gb file(s) into memory? Or store a list of differences in memory?

This machine RAM is 24Gb and OS drive free space is 100Gb free.

I'd hope the operation is just comparing small chunks at a time and terminating at the first difference.
      Last edited by chrisjj; 29-Jul-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Yes, binary comparison in the Folder Compare compares small chunks at a time and stops as soon as a difference is found.

We'll work on testing this scenario in-house to see if we can repeat and then resolve the issue.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

EDIT: BTW, a possibly related issue the operation X button has no effect.

Yes, binary comparison in the Folder Compare compares small chunks at a time and stops as soon as a difference is found.
          Good to hear. Thanks.

BC says "Waiting". Any way I can find out what it is waiting for?
          Last edited by chrisjj; 29-Jul-2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Sorry, Beyond Compare doesn't provide a way to display what it is waiting for.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

OK, thanks. Perhaps this info should be added to the log.

Comment

We can look into that. Did you hit abort? Or did Waiting just appear?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

In the case of the screenshot, after the start of the operation I didn't click anything - Waiting just appeared.

Have you succeeded in comparing a file approx. 300Gb?

Comment

Chris,

I just completed testing with a pair of 300 GB binary files.

One file was on an internal SATA hard drive.
                    The other file was on a USB3 hard drive.

Test was on a Windows 7sp1 64-bit computer with an i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM.

I tested both BC 3.3.12 and BC4 beta build 18629.

Using "Actions > Compare Contents" with binary selected as the comparison type completed successfully for both versions of BC. The comparison took approximately 30 minutes for both versions of BC.

I also tested copying the 300 GB file from the internal drive to the USB3 hard drive and it copied without issue.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks. The only difference in conditions I see there is my drives are both external USB.

Is there anything I can do to capture more information here?

Comment

Yes, are you able to reproduce the issue with the same files if they are both on the local hdd? Then again with local hdd <> one usb device, or Other Usb <> local hdd? Or does it only reproduce with these files using these two Usb <> Usb?
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

OK, I take it then this is the variable OS problem reported on web. Thanks for testing.

Comment

Working...
                          X