X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

18414 problem moving large files?

Does BC3 have a known problem moving large files? Each time I try to move a 300Gb file from one drive to another, progress stops at e.g. 6.66Gb and clicking X gives:

indefinitely.

EDIT: Sometimes I get luckier :

but never success.

Close says "This will cancel running file operations. Continue?" and Yes fails to close the app.

At this point, the destination drive does have a file of same name and size. Comparing using BC fails due to the BC size limit.

Attempting to delete the destination file for an Explorer copy says BC has it open. Using Task Manager End Task on BC does not remedy this. Using Task Manager End Process on BC fails.

If anyone know a way of wresting such a file from BC short of killing the OS, please say.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 28-Jul-2014, 07:36 AM.
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

I guess this is the problem suffered by some other programs, here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...m=winservergen

Anyone know if BC4 remedies this?

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

This is still an issue in BC4.

Beyond Compare uses CopyFileEx for file copies, and all copies use buffered I/O. For very large files this can cause performance issues or cause copies to fail.

The way to avoid this issue is to copy very large files using unbuffered I/O, which isn't currently supported in Beyond Compare, but is on our wish list for a future version.

As a workaround, you can try copying the files using "XCOPY /J" to copy using unbuffered I/O.

BC won't be able to display differences within files as large as you're working with, but if you use "Actions > Compare Contents" or set "Compare Contents" in Session Settings and use a binary comparison it should be able to say if the files match or mismatch.

For a more detailed discussion of this issue, see:
      http://blog.mischel.com/2011/06/07/w...bug-revisited/
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Chris
        This is still an issue in BC4.
        OK, thanks.

The way to avoid this issue is to copy very large files using unbuffered I/O, which isn't currently supported in Beyond Compare, but is on our wish list for a future version.
        Good to hear - thanks.

As a workaround, you can try copying the files using "XCOPY /J" to copy using unbuffered I/O.
        I've found plain XCOPY is sufficient to avoid the problem.

BC won't be able to display differences within files as large as you're working with, but if you use "Actions > Compare Contents" or set "Compare Contents" in Session Settings and use a binary comparison it should be able to say if the files match or mismatch.
        Thanks. Doing now.

For a more detailed discussion of this issue, see:
        http://blog.mischel.com/2011/06/07/w...bug-revisited/
        Comforting. And discomforting Thanks.

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Good news: I didn't know about the CopyFileEx flag mentioned in that blog post. I've added it to our copy routine for the next v4 beta, so that should help.

Bad news: That flag doesn't exist for Windows' MoveFile function, so that will still be as bad. I don't want to mess with something like this so late in the beta, so for now, if you're moving extremely large files between servers do a copy followed by a delete yourself.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Craig
            the CopyFileEx flag mentioned in that blog post. I've added it to our copy routine for the next v4 beta, so that should help.
            Great. For very large files only?

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by chrisjj
              Great. For very large files only?
              I have it kicking in at 128MB for now, but we can adjust that up or down if needed.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Apr 2008

Thanks.

Comment

Working...