13640 Failure of Refresh to update changed file size on Win 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13640 Failure of Refresh to update changed file size on Win 7

1) On Win7, view a file that's open and being grown in size by another app.
    2) Press Refresh (a.k.a. Fast Refresh) or Full Refresh

Expected: Size updates
    Observed: Size fails to update

Surprising workaround: first switch to Explorer and press F3.

Hello,

Testing this on my system, and I did not see this behavior reproduce. My test involved:
    1) Loading a Folder Compare, then launching a child Text Compare on a text file.
    2) I opened and edited the file in another text editor, adding text.

If I navigate back to BC3's Text Compare tab first, I am immediately prompted: "Left file changed on disc. Reload?" If I select Yes, it reloads and shows the new text and size. If I select No, then Refresh, it shows the new text and size. These size updates also pass back to the Folder Compare (it does not need an independent refresh).

If I navigate back but the folder compare is the current tab, it does not auto-detect the change, but a Refresh (F5) does update the size. If I then click on the child tab, I'm met with the same "File on disc has changed. Reload?" scenario.

Are you not seeing this behavior if you perform these test steps? How might your steps differ if you are still having trouble?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

That's an invalid test. My file is open.

Comment

What do you mean about your "file is open"? In my test, the file is open in another application and is updated, going back and forth.

Is your file continually updating and you need real-time updates? BC3 can only refresh with the current file stats at a specific time; it does not update in realtime.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          What do you mean about your "file is open"?
          e.g. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

In my test, the file is open in another application
          I think not - despite what the app's UI suggests.

Is your file continually updating
          Yes.

and you need real-time updates?
          No. I just need the manual updates for which I am asking.

Comment

This is intentional behavior on the part of Windows:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/.../10251026.aspx

The command line "dir" command shows the same behavior that BC does. I can only assume that Explorer actually does open all of the files in the directory for some reason, perhaps to fill in metadata like "Album Artist". You'd need to ask Microsoft.
            ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
              This is intentional behavior on the part of Windows
              The issue I am reporting is not any behaviour on the part of Windows. It is behaviour of BC.

Comment

No, it's not. It's intentional caching by the NTFS file system that affects any program that reads the directory listing. Read the link I provided if you need details. There isn't anything for us to do about this, and I've already closed the issue as "Won't Fix".
                ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Read the link I provided
                  I did read it. Including "GetFileSize reports the correct file size".

There isn't anything for us to do about this
                  Use GetFileSize?

I've already closed the issue as "Won't Fix".
                  Did you even try GetFileSize?
                  Last edited by chrisjj; 14-Apr-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                    Did you even try GetFileSize?
                    No, and I'm not going to. The function to get directory listings is FindFirstFile and that's what BC uses. Using GetFileSize requires opening every single file you want to use it on, which would significantly slow down listings. Again, it is intentional caching on the part of the file system driver; I'm not going to waste time trying to circumvent it. If you need it updated more frequently complain to Microsoft.
                    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Using GetFileSize requires opening every single file you want to use it on, which would significantly slow down listings.
                      Well sure. It does normally take longer to compute correct results that incorrect ones.

Again, it is intentional caching on the part of the file system driver
                      "It" is display of inaccurate info by BC.

Suggestion: list in the documentation this any any other known instances of BC displayed data being inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                        The issue I am reporting is not any behaviour on the part of Windows. It is behaviour of BC.
                        As Craig noted: DIR behaves the same way (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc755121.aspx). Windows does not provide a function to get the growing size without opening the file. Explorer can get away with opening every file during a Refresh because it is only showing a small fraction of the loaded information.

Please re-read the blog post Craig provided. It is intentional behavior that needs to be addressed by Microsoft with a proper status update (which, we could then theoretically read and act on).
                        Last edited by Aaron; 15-Apr-2014, 10:42 AM. Reason: DIR
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                        X