Compare Foxpro VCX

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Justin.Rosen

Compare Foxpro VCX

I love BC3! I have found something that makes it even more useful for me.
    It's an external program that acts as a filter for BC2 or BC3 for Visual Foxpro file types. The most useful part for me is the support for comparing two Foxpro class libraries ( *.VCX )

This gem of a program called VFP2TEXT.EXE was written by Frank Perez specifically for BC. http://www.pfsolutions-mi.com/blog/2...ndCompare.aspx

He even includes an import settings file for BC2 to automatically import the rule.

I have done a few extra things such as making an BC3 import for the FoxPro file formats for use with VFP2TEXT.EXE:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!-- Produced by Beyond Compare 3 from Scooter Software -->
    <BCFileFormats>
    	<TTextFormat Value="Foxpro">
    		<CharPerLine Value="4096"/>
    		<CodePageDetect Value="True"/>
    		<ColBased Value="False"/>
    		<CommentCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<ConvertKind Value="convertApp"/>
    		<ConvertLoadApp Value="C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\VFP2Text\VFP2Text.EXE %s %t"/>
    		<ConvertNoEdit Value="True"/>
    		<ConvertSaveApp Value=""/>
    		<CtrlZIsEOF Value="False"/>
    		<DirectiveCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<EnvironVarCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<IdentifierCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<KeywordCaseSig Value="False"/>
    		<LabelCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<LineBased Value="False"/>
    		<LineNumCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<Mask Value="*.cdx;*.dbc;*.dbf;*.dct;*.dcx;*.fpt;*.frt;*.frx;*.fxp;*.h;*.lbt;*.lbx;*.mnt;*.mnx;*.mpr;*.mpx;*.pjt;*.pjx;*.prg;*.qpr;*.sct;*.scx;*.vct;*.vcx"/>
    		<NumberCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<OperatorCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<StringCaseSig Value="True"/>
    		<TabAsSpaces Value="False"/>
    		<TabSize Value="8"/>
    		<TidyLeadingWS Value="False"/>
    		<TrimTrailingWS Value="False"/>
    	</TTextFormat>
    </BCFileFormats>

** Note, if you want to edit *.prg, *.h and *.mpr files, make a seperate file format definition for those formats using a normal text compare ( don't use the external program ). Actually there is no good reason I can see why you would want to run a file which is plain text through VFP2Text.EXE.

If you are still reading then maybe you will be interested in trying out my preferences and file format's with VFP grammer for a VFP like feel in BC3. In that case after setting up VFP2TEXT.EXE download the attached .bcpkg file and import it.

I have heard that people using CVS systems, convert their .vcx files to a text format for the purposes of version comparision and editing, make changes to the text and then use another program to stick the text back into a .vcx file. If a similar technique could be used, it might be possible to edit the .vcx text in BC3 and then save it back to a .vcx. That would be very nice! If anyone know how to set this up please post it on this thread!
  • frankperez
    Visitor
    • May 2012

Updated for Beyond Compare v3

I updated the VFP2Text utility for Beyond Compare v3.

VFP2Text Download
    http://pfsolutions-mi.com/Product/VFP2Text

VFP2Text Blog Posts
    http://pfsolutions-mi.com/blog/category/VFP2Text.aspx

Frank

Comment

• ingenuitor
      Enthusiast
      • Mar 2008

I know I'm a 100 years late to this, but I just found this plugin a few days ago and I wanted to say I'm most thankful for your plugin, its works great on huge date-sets and has saved my bacon a few times now. Have a great day.

Comment

• frankperez
        Visitor
        • May 2012

Updated VFP2Text

I released a new version of VFP2Text with a lot of new features.

VFP2Text Download
        http://pfsolutions-mi.com/Product/VFP2Text

VFP2Text Blog
        http://pfsolutions-mi.com/blog/category/VFP2Text.aspx

Frank

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Congratulations, Frank. Looking over the blog post, this looks very nice. We've been swamped with BC4 development, but I've archived each of your releases for when we have the spare resources to investigate and add them to our other File Formats linked from the Download page (if that's alright with you).
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• frankperez
            Visitor
            • May 2012

I'd be interested in having VFP2Text added to the other File Formats page. When you get caught up with BC4, let me know what you have in mind.

Frank

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Once we have been able to check it over, we'd host the files and provide a reference to the source (your posts and page).
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...