Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compare text files with special character "apostrophe"

Hi,

We are currently using Beyond compare 2 and trying to compare 2 text files, which has special character "apostrophe". One file is getting the data by running sql using sql server sqlcmd command and other file is putting the expected data.

I am attaching 2 files here and would like to know how can we ignore/compare 2 files which are having different apostrophe.

Please let me know how can I resolve this issue.

Thanks,
    Nili

Hello,

The easiest method would be to use BC3 Pro's Text Replacements feature in the Text Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Replacements tab.
    ’ = '

If you are licensed for Std edition, you can try out the feature by reverting to trial mode:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro

Alternatively, you can define a grammar that marks ' and ’ as separate unimportant (regardless of what it is aligned to).
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your response. I will definately consider this once we move to Beyond compare 3, but currently we are not in a state to move.

Is there a way in BC 2?

Thanks,
      Nili

Comment

Hello,

Sorry, I did not notice the forum header we were in.

In BC2, you would perform steps similar to the Unimportant article. In BC2, you can define unimportance in the Tools menu -> Options dialog, Rules section, select specific Rule, then in the Importance tab, define a "New" in the "Unimportant Text" section. My suggested setup is to disregard either character, however, if the character appears on one side by not the other, it will still be an Unimportant difference that is ignored.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X