X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fabjoe
    Visitor
    • Jul 2008

Script to compare two .rtf files

Hi everybody, I need some help in order to write a script to compare two .rtf files removing rich text formatting before comparison, can someone suggest me a way to do that?
    Thank you in advance for your help
    Regards
    Fab
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

There are lots of downloadable rules definitions from the Scooter site.
    Check out the Additional Rules Definitions for BC2 and try the one for MS Word.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Michael's suggestion is a good one. For BC2, it requires that Word be installed. Then install the BC2 Additional Rule (c:\program files\beyond compare 2\msword\msword.xml then Import it).
      Then go to Tools->Options->Rules, and edit the MS Word Rule to include the extension *.rtf

BC3 supports .rtf files without the need for Word, and is available for public beta here:
      www.scootersoftware.com/beta3
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I don't know why we made it so hard to find, but BC2 has built-in support for stripping RTF formatting. Just create a new file comparison rule, associate it with *.rtf, and on the "Conversion" tab change the "Conversion Type" to "Remove Rich Text Formatting".
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• fabjoe
          Visitor
          • Jul 2008

Thanks all for reply

Originally posted by Craig
          I don't know why we made it so hard to find, but BC2 has built-in support for stripping RTF formatting. Just create a new file comparison rule, associate it with *.rtf, and on the "Conversion" tab change the "Conversion Type" to "Remove Rich Text Formatting".
          Sorry but I'm a beginner with BC2 now I'm using the following script

file-report layout:composite &
          options:display-all &
          title:"MyCompare" &
          output-options:html-color &
          output-to:%3 %1 %2

How can I modify this script in order to compare .rtf removing rtf formatting?
          I need to create a new file?
          Is it possible to modify existing script file including new comparison rule?
          Thank you again for your help.
          Regards
          Fab

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

I would recommend testing the removal of the RTF formating in the application itself (graphically). Create a rule (or edit the current one) to be used automatically when you double click on your files in the Directory Viewer.

Does that part work for you?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...