Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapshot Compares

Hi there!

I have been trying to get the following to work for and have had no luck. I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I would like to do two things,

a) a snapshot of two paths
    f:\XXX
    \\192.168.4.3\xxx
    b) then compare the two snapshots.

c) OR if I can simply compare the two folders above and provide a XML file with the differences/report of no problems.

there are 17k files in the folders, and 480 folders. I need to check everything in these to folders, not just the folders themselfes.

Any thoughts would be GREAT!!

TiA!

Ivan

Re: Snapshot Compares

Hi there!

Well I figured out part of my problem, and have decided to go with a Snapshot of one folder, and a live scan of the other, the snapshot will snapshot my WAN side.

The script I have is this.

load "f:\ks_jh" "c:\beyondcompare\cfp_Denver.2008-04-22.08-58-03.bcss"
    expand all
    folder-report layout:summary options:display-mismatches,column-size,column-crc &
    output-to:c:\beyondcompare\htmlreport.html output-options:html-color

And for the most part, this actually works very well, BUT whats missing is the CRC information for the snapshot, something the help file says is best captured from a snapshot, so what might I be missing?

Basicly, we have 2 folders, our app is syncing it, then we want to use BC2 to check the folders and make sure, based on CRC that things "synced"

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Thanks a million!

Ivan

Hi there!

I have been trying to get the following to work for and have had no luck. I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I would like to do two things,

a) a snapshot of two paths
    f:\XXX
    \\192.168.4.3\xxx
    b) then compare the two snapshots.

c) OR if I can simply compare the two folders above and provide a XML file with the differences/report of no problems.

there are 17k files in the folders, and 480 folders. I need to check everything in these to folders, not just the folders themselfes.

Any thoughts would be GREAT!!

TiA!

Ivan

Comment

Saving the CRC info in a snapshot is a checkbox that needs to be checked when done interactively, or using the save-crc option when done via script.

From your description, it sounds like you could just compare both folders directly to each other, rather than need a snapshot.

Does loading both folders work for you (can be tested on two local folder directories on your computer)?
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Not really, when I do the "folders" I only seem to get the root folder in my report, but need a complete mismatches list.

whats the synctax for the save-crc via script? That sounds like the one I need.

The reason I am scripting htis is its going to run over night, and my boss will then check the compare report, so it has to be automated.

If I was able to just run it over night on the two folders than GREAT... as long as I dont use the application to do so.

I am assuming, I would

a) load folders
        b) expand all
        c) for a folder-report or file-report?

I think my problem is I was using a folder-report and not a file, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help Aaron.

Ivan

Comment

RTFM again!

Ok, found the syntax for the save-crc trying that now.

Thanks, but still need to figure out, file-report or folder.

Cheers

Comment

Hi there!

Well I am getting somewhere! I got the files to load, but am now sitting here for over an hour, waiting for "expand all" to run, and its just sitting htere, I ran the same thing last night, and it also froze. Is there a way to see if its still running?

Thanks!

Comment

Test it interactively and you can see the folder/file colors populate and the red cancel button in the upper corner blink if it is still running. Depending on your folders, it may take a long time. Are both folders remote? How many files and how large are they?

Make sure to turn on Seesion->Comparison Control->Content Comparison: CRC, to see how long it takes to calculate the CRC values. Filesize/Date comparisons will run much faster than a Content (CRC) comparison.

If you are more comfortable with contacting us privately, you can email us at support@scootersoftware.com
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Well left the script running all night, 80000 seconds to be exact. But never finished expanding.

If I do it interactivly, takes about 20 minutes... and ideas why it would "freeze" so to speak on the expand all?

There are 17000+ items and 480+ folders, total about 5 gigs.

One folder is local, on is remote, thats why I was thinking I needed to do a snapshot. the CRC is the "legal" option we need to compare, size and time, well these can always be "faked" the CRC, pretty reliable!

Thanks!

Ivan

Comment

1) Interactively, was CRC set under Session menu -> Comparison Control -> Content Compare: CRC ?

2) Binary is actually more reliable than CRC. Another advantage: it will also stop the compare as soon as it finds a difference, whereas CRC must read the whole file first, compute the CRC, then compare the two CRC values.

If you would like, you can email your current script to support@scootersoftware.com and we can take a look at it. (or post it here, if you don't mind it being public)
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Aaron,

Pretty simple script, the CRC wasnt set in interactive, was Size only. Does the script take into account the Interactive settings? If so, that changes alot.

# Turn logging on
                    log normal "c:\Synclog.txt"

# Set comparison criteria
                    criteria CRC

# Exclude certain file types
                    # filter "*.*"

# Load the base folders
                    # load "f:\ks_jh"

#Take a snapshot

# snapshot path:"\\192.168.4.3\ks_jh" output:"C:\BeyondCompare\cfp.%date%.%fn_time%.bcss "

# snapshot save-crc path:"\\192.168.4.3\ks_jh" output:"C:\BeyondCompare\cfp_remote.bcss"

# snapshot path:"F:\ks_jh" output:"C:\BeyondCompare\cfp_local.%date%.%fn_time %.bcss"

# load "f:\ks_jh" "c:\beyondcompare\cfp_remote.bcss"

load "f:\ks_jh" "\\192.168.4.3\ks_jh"
                    expand all
                    folder-report layout:summary options:display-mismatches,column-size,column-crc &
                    output-to:c:\beyondcompare\cfp_%date%.%fn_time%_report.ht ml output-options:html-color

Using this script, it freezes on the "expand all for 90000 plus seconds.

Thanks

Comment

The script can take into account certain Global settings (such as Ignore Unimportant Differences) that are set interactively first.

Otherwise, it is session based. You can create a session (which stores things like Comparison Control information) and then load the session rather than manually loading folders and setting criteria.

If you set CRC interactively, do you see the same 'freeze'? By running it interactively, you can more easily see if it is still processing files, or actually frozen in some way. Script simply mirrors actions that can be taken interactively, so it is always good to run the program by hand first.

Try running your script on a smaller subset of folders in these locations, as well.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                      X