X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nobjork
    Visitor
    • Nov 2007

Problems running a simple script

In BC 2.5.1 I created a session called "Backup" that compares a folder on my local server with a remote directory via a mapped drive letter. In BC, I select Custom Sync, then choose to mirror left to right and create empty folders. This manual method works just fine. So from there I created a script:

log verbose "C:\backuplog.txt"
    criteria binary
    load "Backup"
    sync create-empty mirror:lt->rt

When I call this script from a command line, the BC Script dialog box comes up. The script gets to the comparison quickly, but from there it does not progress. I don't have any indication of what's going on either, as the log only shows "Load Comparison: C:\Data <-> X:\Backup\Data" and goes no further.

I've let BC Script sit there for 5 hours once before canceling it. And while this is mirroring 50,000 files or so, it just seems odd that manually performing the sync only takes about 1 minute to generate the list of files to copy/delete.

Am I doing something in the script incorrectly? Please help! Thanks!
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Problems running a simple script

If you're using the default settings when you sync the files interactively, it is comparing timestamp and size of the files. In your script you are using binary comparison, which is much slower.

Try using this script instead:

log verbose "C:\backuplog.txt"
    criteria timestamp size
    load "Backup"
    sync create-empty mirror:lt->rt
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• nobjork
      Visitor
      • Nov 2007

Thanks for the reply. I did try using the timestamp and size criterias, but the script was still "loading" after 2+ hours.

Comment

• nobjork
        Visitor
        • Nov 2007

OK, looks like it's working now. I ran BC and edited my Backup session and changed the Compare Contents option to size alone. Now the script gets to the actual mirroring within about a minute. I thought the scripting options I had in my text file would supersede the options within session I created, but I guess I was incorrect. Either way, I'm glad it works as I intended.

Comment

Working...