X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting common data to keep the difference

On the left page I have a GA binary package
    On the left page I have the same package with a service pack applied

I want to delete automatically from the right page the common file, directories, sub-directories to only keep the changed ones. That way, to upgrade the original install (left side) there is only to communicate and overwrite a zip of the cleaned right side.

Do you have any idea how to do it?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Deleting common data to keep the difference

<assuming the left side is the binary pack, and the right side is the same package with service pack applied>

Change your Display Filters to Component View. This will give you a series of Toggle buttons that can be turned on and off individually, such as Left Orphans, Right Side Newer, etc.

Right click the Display Filters in the upper left corner, and select Component. Then uncheck Show Exact Pairs (two grey boxes). This should remove the exact pairs of the left and right side, which should leave the right side (with the service pack, and should be entirely newer) with only the files that are not already present on the left.

You can look over these files.

You can also turn off all the filters except for Exact Pairs, and then delete the ones on the right side (leaving you with only the ones you don't see, which are the different files). Flip the display filters back to compare again.

You can control the comparison with Comparison Control (Session menu->Comparison Control, or the Scales button on the right) to set how to determine 'equal' or 'different'.

Remember to test with test files, so as not to accidentally delete anything important as you learn how to use this feature.

Does this help answer your question?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Yes kind of, I was just more looking into scripting but it looks fine.

On my side I have created two scripts
      # Set comparison criteria
      criteria attrib:ashr timestamp size
      # Load compared directories
      load leftDirectory rightDirectory
      expand all
      select rt.exact.all
      delete rt
      Result looks fine with deletion

# Set comparison criteria
      criteria attrib:ashr timestamp size
      # Load compared directories
      load leftDirectory rightDirectory
      expand all
      select rt.newer.all rt.orphan.all
      copyto rt newDirectory
      OK for the first sub-folder but for the second one, the difference is copied at the base instead of in a sub-folder.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Hum in fact for the second way:
        I didn't put any value for the path option of the copyto feature > to make it work
        copyto rt path:base deltaDirectory
        This tool is just awesome Thank you guys.

Comment

Working...
        X