Compare all files under a directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare all files under a directory

This is a beginner's question. I want to see the differences in each files under a folder using rule-based comparison. I can do this on the UI. But my script is not giving me any result. Here is what my script looks like:
    load "C:\WorkDir\78\Member" "C:\WorkDir\782\Member"
    expand all
    file-report title:"test report" layout:side-by-side output-to:"c:\testreport.html" options:display-mismatches output-options:html-color

It seems that the file-report is not getting any file under the directories BC loaded. Can someone tell me what I did wrong here?

Thanks
    Jessica

Re: Compare all files under a directory

Jessica,

The file-report command operates on the currently selected files. Adding a select command should make the script work correctly.

Here's a modified version of your script with the added command:

load "C:\WorkDir\78\Member" "C:\WorkDir\782\Member"
    expand all
    select all.files
    file-report title:"test report" layout:side-by-side output-to:"c:\testreport.html" options:display-mismatches output-options:html-color
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I tried used select all.files but still none of my files were included in the comparison. My report only contains the following lines:

<font color="green">
      FILE COMPARISON
      Produced: 08/22/2007 10:35:56 AM
      Mode: Just Differences
      File:
      </font>

I tried to use different directories and simple files like load "c:\test1\" "c:\test2" but none of my files were loaded. The log file didn't give any error.

Have you been this kind of situation before?

Thanks
      Jessica

Comment

I just tested the script I posted earlier on my own system, and it did list differences in the report.

Are you using the current version 2.5 of Beyond Compare? What type of files are you comparing? How large are they?
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I have version 2.2.7 and I am using it to compare .vb files. the total size of those files is about 260K.

Something is not right. I created 2 test directories with one .txt file under each and they won't compare.

Please help me with this issue.

Thanks.
          Jessica

Comment

Just to quickly jump in here. BC 2.5 is available on our website. All 2.x licenses will upgrade to 2.5, so I recommend upgrading to it. You can backup your settings first with Tools menu->Export settings.

You can download it here:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I upgraded to 2.5 and I am getting some results. Not where I want to be yet, but I made progress.

Thanks, Aaron.

Jessica

Comment

Working...
              X