Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare dlls via FTP

Hello,

I'm trying to sync a website via FTP and I'm having trouble with dll's. I've tried crc and binary options, but the dll's on the remote are not being updated. Timestamp causes problems because of the way the ftp server handles timestamps. Is there a way to compare dll's reliably?

Thanks,
    Dan

Re: Compare dlls via FTP

Dan,

You said you tried CRC and binary options, which should both work to detect whether the files have changed or not. Is BC correctly detecting that there are differences?

Assuming it's detecting a difference, what command are you using to try to update the files? If it's a plain copy then the BC should always overwrite the target files, and if it isn't you should check the log (available from View->Log->Show Log) for errors. If you're using the "Synchronize" commands, they work a couple of different ways depending on what the comparison is like. For the "Custom Sync" command there are two types of syncs, updates and mirrors. Mirroring a directory makes the target director exactly match the source directory, so it doesn't care what the timestamps are. Updating a directory only copies files that BC has judged safe to copy, that is newer and orphan files. If you can't use a timestamp comparison then the update sync types won't work since BC never knows whether the files were changed locally or remotely.

The "Synchronize to Right" or "Synchronize to Left" commands default to working as update syncs, but you can change them to mirror syncs or something more specific through the Options dialog (under Sync Options).
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

This is the script I'm using:

# Turn logging on
      log normal "C:\BCSynclog.txt"

option confirm:yes-to-all

# Set comparison criteria
      criteria binary crc

# Exclude certain file types
      filter "*.aspx; *.ascx; *.js; *.gif; *.jpg; *.dll; *.css; *.htc; &
      -aspnet_client\; -SR\; -outbox\; -states\; -include\radcontrols\; -include\radcontrols.*\; -SR.*\"

# Load the base folders
      load "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SeasWeb2" "ftp://remote-site/"

#Make the target identical to the source
      #includes deleting files that only exist on the target side
      sync mirror:lt->rt

Comment

*.dll is in the exclude list, don't think they will get updated.

Comment

As I understand it, unless there is a "-" in front items in that list are included.

Comment

I also ran a comparison in the GUI and it is not detecting differences in my dll's. The compare mode is set to binary. I know that the dll's are different. Any ideas?

Thanks,
            Dan

Comment

That's correct. The filters command controls both include and exclude filters.
              ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Nothing is springing to mind. The best way for me to diagnose this would be for you to send a copy of your support dump (the Help->Support menu item), a screenshot showing the dlls in the directory comparison, and a copy of BC's log to support@scootersoftware.com.
                ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

I managed to get this working by adding "expand all" and "select rt.diff" to the script.

-Dan

Comment

Hi Craig,

I'm attempting to do the same thing (synchronizing DLL's), would you mind sharing your solution?

Thanks in advance,
                    -Tony

Comment

Tony,

There's nothing special about DLLs that would make synching them any different than any other file type. If you're having trouble you'll at least need to post the script you're using, and if that isn't enough send your settings and a screenshot of the interactive comparison showing the files to support@scootersoftware.com
                      ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                      X