Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues comparing physical hard drives and mounted images of those drives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues comparing physical hard drives and mounted images of those drives.

My team is having issues when comparing full backups of drives for storage. We create images of drives using Ghost 14, burn the images to disc, then copy the images back and mount them for comparison. We've been having issues with beyond compare reporting that random files have had 100-400 bytes added to them and therefore will not pass quality control. does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be happening? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Can you verify if the files on the disc are actually a different size than the original? If there is a difference in size, then BC3 would be correctly reporting a difference in the files.

How would you be comparing the two folder locations? Is it over FTP? This could be introducing a difference with how line ending characters are either stored or downloaded (as a temp file) for comparison. This could be controlled in the Tools menu -> FTP Profile, select the specific profile, then in the Transfers tab switch from Automatic to Binary transfers.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,

Can you verify if the files on the disc are actually a different size than the original? If there is a difference in size, then BC3 would be correctly reporting a difference in the files.

How would you be comparing the two folder locations? Is it over FTP? This could be introducing a difference with how line ending characters are either stored or downloaded (as a temp file) for comparison. This could be controlled in the Tools menu -> FTP Profile, select the specific profile, then in the Transfers tab switch from Automatic to Binary transfers.
      Aaron,

Thanks for the response. I have not checked the mounted image files to see if windows reports the same size. We use BC2 specifically for this, this is my problem. I'm not exactly suggesting that BC2 is to blame, but I was more curious to see if maybe any other members or staff had encountered this. Could it possibly be that Windows 7 is adding metadata to these files and changing their size? It's a mystery for now, just looking anywhere I can for a solution.

Comment

Hello,

The first test would be to verify if the information is correctly reported, then try to step back through each step of the process to see at which point the information is introduced.

In BC2, the FTP transfer information is in the Tools menu -> Options, FTP section (Auto to Binary).
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Just would like to pass along that the issue was with windows 7. Windows 7 was adding meta-data increasing the size of random files. I've contacted Microsoft. Thanks!

Comment

The follow-up is appreciated. If there's any information to pass on from them, just let us know.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X