Executing command while copying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executing command while copying

Out of curiousity, is it possible to somehow execute an external command instead of just copying a file from one folder to the next.

For example, say I have a directory tree of my own MP3s, encoded in a high quality format, but want to duplicate that directory structure in another subdirectory, but, instead of just copying the files, I want to run them through an encoder to resample/reduce the quality/size of those files.

Possible? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Executing command while copying

It's not possible to do exactly that, though it is something we're considering.

For now you'll need to use the "Open With" commands. They're configurable in the Options dialog on the Open With panel. Just set up a batch file that take a source file, perfomrs the conversion, and copies it to the destination you want. Once that's done you can highlight the files in the folder viewer and use that command to copy them.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the response.

That's what I figured, but was hoping there may be a kludge or some sort of clever way to automate (or batch process) a whole slew of files.

Comment

The "Open With" command can run on multiple files at once. If you press the "Advanced" button in the dialog it will show a bunch of additional options. The ones you'll want to use are "Refresh when finished", "Multiple instances", and "Wait for previous instance to finish".

The batch file would be something simple, like:
        copy %1 C:\TargetFolder
        convert C:\TargetFolder\%1

Just set that up, highlight the files you want, and use the Open With command. BC will call the batch file once for each file, then refresh the listing at the end so you can see the results.
        ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks again for the reply/suggestion.

Seems to work, somewhat kludgey, but gets the job done. Did you imply that there may be some work in progress on a "process while copying" kinda thing?

Comment

We're working on a lot of things, implied and otherwise. In this case though, it's not likely to be in a release soon, but it is under consideration for a future release.
            ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X