Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tolerance for numeric values

Hi,

We are currently using Beyond compare 2 for excel comparison. I was wondering if beyond compare provides support for tolerance on numeric values.

Your quick response will greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nili

Hello,

Beyond Compare 2 opens Excel files in our File Viewer (Text) Comparison, and does not support a numeric tolerance. You can define unimportant text as a mask or regular expression using the Tools menu -> Options dialog, Rules section, in the Importance tab.

Beyond Compare 3 opens Excel files in our Data Viewer by default, and can define a numeric tolerance for a Numeric column. I would recommend trying the trial to see if it meets your needs.
    http://scootersoftware.com/download.php
    It can be installed alongside BC2, and you do not need to uninstall or alter your BC2 install.

Tolerance can be controlled in the Data Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Columns tab. Double click a non-Key column (by default, column 1 is set to the Key; this is configurable).

BC3 can also install an additional file format to open the Excel files as Text, similar to BC2, in the Text Compare. This would have similar limitations as BC2, and does not support a tolerance value.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your quick response. Can you please give me or point to some examples where it can use tolerance for numeric column?

Thanks,
      Nili

Comment

tolerance for numeric values

Hi Aaron,

Does this comparison with tolerance support by command line?

If yes, how can I do the settings?

Thanks,
        Nili

Comment

Hello,

We don't really have examples, per se, for the tolerance setting. If you load two files in the Data Compare, go to the Session Settings, Columns tab, and double click a column, you should be able to uncheck "Use Default" and set a Numeric Tolerance. The Session Settings can be changed per column or defaults with the Column's tab's Edit default button.

Session Settings can then apply to the specific open session (savable), or as default Session Settings for all future Data Compare sessions.

The command line can load a saved Session, but you cannot set a tolerance (either session default or for specific columns).
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I should add, once defined the difference will show up as Blue (Unimportant) instead of Red (Important). The Ignore Unimportant Differences toolbar toggle can then treat blue differences as black text/equal.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The tolerance will not be constant. It will be different based on different columns during each run. So, I cannot set the default session.

I would like to set the session each time we do data compare using command line. I would like to know how can I set the tolerance in session and then save the session using command line.

Thanks,
              Nili

Comment

Hello,

The only way to handle this would be to use a series of different sessions, or an overall automated process that could manually alter the default session settings in the BCSessions.xml file, and then call Bcompare.exe for the comparison. There currently isn't a built-in method or command line to handle changing tolerances on the command line.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Tolerance on integer comparison from Command line

Hi Aaron,

I have a specific requirement where I want to compare 2 excel files having 2 integer type columns. I want to put decimal tolerance on first column, but want to put percentage tolerance on other column. I am using Beyond compare 2 as of now from Command line.
                  I have below questions:

1. Does Beyond compare allows this kind of tolerance setting from Command line in any version of Beyond compare?

Comment

Not from the command line; not without using another script to manually update the BCSessions.xml for BC3.

The BC3 trial is fully featured (unlike BC2, which had some limitations). You can install the BC3 trial without removing or altering BC2, as well, so I definitely recommend giving it a try before purchase.
                    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Aaron for your response. I have installed BC3 and I am able to apply different kind of tolerances on seperate columns in my excel file. I have 2 questions:

1. I was able to find Decimal Tolerance for an integer column, but couldn't found percentage tolerance to be applied to one of my columns. Does Beyond compare provides the facility to apply Percentage tolerance. If yes, how do I do it?

2. I want to do this from command line. As per your suggestion, I want to edit BCSessions.xml manually, but I could not find it in Beyond compare installation folder in Program Files. Can you please tell the location where I can find this file.

Thanks in Advance!
                      Manoj

Comment

Hello,

1. We only support a numeric (with decimal) value, and not a percentage, in BC3. This is something on our wishlist.

2. It is likely in your %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\ folder. You can navigate straight there using the BC3 Help menu -> Support dialog, and click the blue link to "Explore settings folder".
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                        X