Compare Outlook PST folders content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare Outlook PST folders content

Hi, is there any chance we get a plugin to compare the content of Outlook PST files? Not as binary files, but as the tree structure contained into them.

I could find some software to browse inside these files, but none to compare them.
    I know it could be quite easy to read info on the content of PST files by scripting in VBA, I could not find any command line based tool showing comprehensible info.
    Furthermore, I do not know how to create a folder-like structure to be displayed in Beyond Compare, something like a folder snapshot (so I could display the results of a script or command line output in BC).
    I suppose a plugin is needed to do that.

Any help would be welcome, thanks.

Hello,

No, BC4 does not support this style of PST comparison. There are a couple of supported strategies. BC4 supports loading Total Commander plug-ins as an archive type; if there were one available for PST files this could treat the file as if it were similar to a .zip. BC4 also supports an External Format, which calls to a custom built program instead of an internal viewer (Text Compare, Hex Compare, etc). This would require building a PST diff tool, which BC4 can call to as it encounters PST files. The last is one you touched on: using VBA scripting to convert the file into a database (text file) which one of our viewers could open and display as a text comparison in either the Text Compare or Table Compare.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,

No, BC4 does not support this style of PST comparison. There are a couple of supported strategies...
      Thanks for your reply, I found you had already posted an answer to a similar question not long ago.
      The first approach I found to getting a listing of a PST is using libpst, but being a freeware it does not help much (quite buggy listing any of the PSTs i have archived).
      I did not find any working "packer" plugin for TC. VBA should be a good choice.

I hope you take this request out of your long-term wishlist for good as soon as possible.

Comment

I've added your feedback to our notes on the entry. As a specialized viewer, it's a pretty large project, so it's not one we've been able to tackle.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          I've added your feedback to our notes on the entry. As a specialized viewer, it's a pretty large project, so it's not one we've been able to tackle.
          Thank you. Its because of your excelent customer support that i decided to buy BC some years ago, since then i miss some big improvement in the program. This could be a not so big one (just large).

Comment

Working...
          X