X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ganders
    Journeyman
    • Sep 2010

Suggested comparison switch by filetype/extension

Is there a list that I can see that shows the suggested comparison switch to use for different file types/extensions?

I have dlls, exes, configs, cfgs, etc....

I found that dlls and exes should use the binary switch, anything else?
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The comparison type for each file type is controlled by the "File Formats", which you can manage from the Tools menu. BC already automatically matches extensions to pick the right type; you don't need to use the /viewer="" switch unless you want to override it to something custom.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• ganders
      Journeyman
      • Sep 2010

Thanks Craig, even if I'm doing this via command-line, it will pick the correct comparison switch? I'm running a Code Sync program for a website as well as regular C# WinForms (dlls and exe) and I want to make sure the correct comparison is done based on the file types...

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Yes, BC uses the file format list to pick the comparison type for every pair of files, regardless of where the comparison is coming from.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes, when you launch BC3 from the command line with 2 arguements (the pair of file names) it will use the topmost match in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog to determine the session type. One factor to keep in mind: settings (including file formats) are stored per windows user account by default in their %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\ folder. You will want to either control which type of user is launching the command line, or use a Portable Install (which uses the same settings located in the install folder, regardless of which user runs the program).
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ganders
            Journeyman
            • Sep 2010

Thanks Craig and Aaron.

So basically I should just remove my comparison switch that I'm sending in the commandline so BC will choose the correct one...

By the way, I'm using BC2, not 3, does your answer still apply Aaron?

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Yes, but for BC2 the settings are both in the %AppData%\ and registry if you do not make a Portable Install; so I would recommend you do for running from a usb drive. Also, instead of "File Formats", BC2 called them Rules, and the list is in the Tools menu -> Options, Rules section.

To make a Portable Install of BC2, you must do it manually with a BC2.xml and BC2.key.
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...removablemedia
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...