Applying changes between file 1 and 2, to file 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying changes between file 1 and 2, to file 3

Is there a way with BC to find the difference / changes between two files and then apply those changes to a third file? Thank you in advance.

Re: Applying changes between file 1 and 2, to file 3

Why don't you just make a copy of one of the files, and then compare it to the first, incorporating the changes into the third. The net result then would be files A and B are still in tact, and the third is the resolution of the two.

Comment

Re: Applying changes between file 1 and 2, to file

I believe what you are suggesting is to make a copy of file 2. Compare file 1 & the copy of file 2, and incorporate the differences into the copy of file 2. Then compare the copy of file 2 & file 3. Incorporate the changes from this copy into file 3. The end result is that any difference between file 3 and iether of the other files is now incorporated into file 3. I do not want all those changes in file 3. My situation is this: file 1 is an earlier version of both 2&3. A copy of file 1 was modified for a different project all together, and turned into file 2. Meanwhile file 1 was also being modified for the original project and turned into file 3. Now file 2 and 3 are vastly different, and for the most part I don't care. However, I would like to isolate the differences between file 1&2, so I can consider placing only those changes into file 3.

Comment

Re: Applying changes between file 1 and 2, to file 3

Is there a way with BC to find the difference / changes between two files and then apply those changes to a third file? Thank you in advance.
        Not right now. To do so BC would need to support 3-way comparisons that would show all 3 files at the same time. We do plan to support that, but it's still quite a ways off.
        ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Re: Applying changes between file 1 and 2, to file

OK. I did not understand what you were asking, but now I do. You were asked to do two projects at the same time, and you kept them separate by modifying the source (your file1) twice and independently. Now both projects need to be installed simultaneously, and so you want to isolate the changes made to file1 for the first project and roll them into the changed file3 that contains the OTHER project's functionality.

Whew!

IMHO, BC will help you a great deal working the differences between any 2 files you pick, but I am afraid you are left to your own wits to glum everything together.

I have been in this predicament before, and my choice was to take the two "vastly different" versions of the file and just work through it, as muddy as it got.

I believe what you are asking is termed a 2-file merge.

I wish you luck with that.

Comment

Working...
          X