Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration Key storage location in registry

Hi,

I've just had to set up some new PCs for developers (Nimbus Partners Ltd license - I use BC personally and at work) and installed BC under an administrator account. Once the domain accounts were available for the developers I found that logging in as them shows that BC is unregistered. The reason is that the license key is put in HKCU instead of HKCM. Can this be changed as most software puts its license key in a system wide location. If Terminal Services/Citrix is the issue then you could always detect that and use a user specific area in that case.

Simon

Re: Registration Key storage location in registry

You can copy your key into a file named bc2.key in the installation directory and BC will read it from there instead of the registry.

For those network administrators: You can also put bc2.key in the same directory as the install program (eg, on a network drive), and it will register BC automatically when it's installed.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

Is this possible with the current version, too?

Originally posted by Craig View Post
      You can copy your key into a file named bc2.key in the installation directory and BC will read it from there instead of the registry.

For those network administrators: You can also put bc2.key in the same directory as the install program (eg, on a network drive), and it will register BC automatically when it's installed.
      Hi,

does this work with bc3, too? Our company plans to purchase several licenses and I'll have to install it on some of our Remote Desktop Servers / XenApp-Servers and take care that all licensed users are able to work with the program without having to register it on their own.

Our preferred ways of installing a program is either using a portable version or installing it in unattended mode at system startup.

I've noticed that the portable version stores all settings in the program folder, so this wouldn't work properly.
      If it's possible to install bc3 from a directory containing the license key file, this version would be easy.

Thank you
      Arrakis

Comment

Hello,

If you use BC3's Portable Install option, and install to a directory that has read/writer permissions (C:\Beyond Compare 3\), then that would be an option.

We also have a KB article about running BC3's setup from the network, which would auto-populate the key:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...zz=kb_netsetup

The other method is to manually copy the BC3Key.txt file into a registration location manually. This is either in that user's %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 3\ folder, or in the installation directory. A user can have their independent settings stored in AppData independent of the Key location. Did you need to have a user's settings in the installation folder, too, or does only the registration need to be controlled?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X