Does BC2 use the Microsoft Windows file/copy API?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DorothyFan1
    Expert
    • May 2008

Does BC2 use the Microsoft Windows file/copy API?

The reason for this question is because I'm a licensed user for Directory Opus 9.0 from GPsoftware and that file manager makes a point *not* to depend on the Microsoft API code for this seemingly mundane ability.

This may not seem like a useful question to ask...until you upgrade to Vista that is. As all of you should know by now...Vista is a dog when it comes to copying and moving files. Guess what? Knowing whether or not software depends on the Windows file/copy API can be a big thing to know when getting upgrades and such.

In any case, I want to know whether or not BC2 or even the upcoming BC3 depends on the Windows API code for this ability. It would save me from getting a big headache when I have to do file copy operations from directory to directory. Thanks in advance.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

BC does use the Windows calls to Copy/Move files. BC2 has a tweak available to use an older method (OldCopyMethod) that is not based on the Windows call:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...=kb_tweaks.php

BC3 is currently available in public beta, and we have not had reports yet of odd copy behavior. www.scootersoftware.com/beta3
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

I've used BC3 on XP and Vista. I don't know about the Windows file copy/move APIs in Vista being slow. Do you have documentation on that? In my experience, Vista is simply a much more resource intensive platform, so you need more resources (memory/cpu) to get the same performance. My Vista machine is fairly robust, and I've not experienced any issues with BC3's performance.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Michael,

In some cases Vista was slower than XP for file copies. Vista SP1 included fixes to improve the file copy performance.

Here's a link with a detailed explanation:
        http://blogs.technet.com/markrussino...4/2826167.aspx
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...