Show only folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show only folders

It would be useful to have a command intermediate in effect between Collapse All Folders and Expand All Folders, which expanded all folders except those containing just files i.e. showed only folders.

Re: Show only folders

Chris,

You can set your file filters to -*.* with View|Always Show Folders on to only see the folder structure without files.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for that alternative solution.

By the way, the Filters: control display does not distinguish between literal '-' and the negation indicator, so e.g. Include files: -*.* and Exclude files: *.* appear identical. How about for BC3 use an unambiguous character for negation e.g. '|' ?

Comment

Some characters ('[' comes to mind) also need to be treated as a character rather than used literally.

File/Folder Filters is an area we would like to revisit and revamp. Thanks for the feedback on certain specific issues you have been running into.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The fix for the characters '-' and '[' are the same: Surround them in brackets to make it a single character range. For example "[-]*.*" will include only those files that start with a '-'. The "Exclude" command should probably handle that automatically just like it does for files with [ the their names.
          ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

> The fix for the characters '-' and '[' are the same: Surround them in brackets

That's a fix to a different problem - how the user inputs these characters. The problem I reported was in how BC2 outputs them.

> The "Exclude" command should probably handle that automatically

Rtaher that BC solve the ambiguity by itself applying the [], ISTM better for it to simply use instead an unambiguous character for negation.

> just like it does for files with [ the their names.

That's not what I see here. "Exclude files: [" causes the error "TRegExpr(comp): Unmatched [] (pos 4)" and then hangs the app. By the way, this bug has been present for quite a long time since first reported.

Comment

The file/folder filters dialog is something we would like to work on a whole (Resizing, organization, etc).

As for displaying them the same, including -*.* from the dialog does not imply that a user is excluding, but means they want the dos mask [-]*.* as the rule. (example: user wants to include any file that starts with a -). The dialog has include and exclude sections specifically so a user does not need to manually add a '-' in front of an include to exclude it. We aren't currently doing this translation for the user, since we haven't had previous reports of users attempting this.

Thanks for the feedback about any confusion surrounding the file filters dialog and associated toolbar. The single '[' is a known issue, and is logged in our bug tracker.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> As for displaying them the same, including -*.* from the dialog
                > does not imply that a user is excluding,

Well it sure ought to - since thats what happens when user has entered "Exclude files: *.*".

> The dialog has include and exclude sections specifically so a user
                > does not need to manually add a '-' in front of an include to exclude it.

Sure, but unfortunately the Filters: control that was the subject of my report does not.

> We aren't currently doing this translation for the user, since we
                > haven't had previous reports of users attempting this.

The Scooter Software I know does not wait for a user to use a specific facility before deciding to make it work properly.

Comment

I think we may have a bit of a miscommunication here:

I do not think a '-' used in the dialog under the Include section means the user wants to exclude something. The dialog that a user calls up by hitting the glasses icon is designed to have the user enter a list of dos masks. In this case, you found an odd bug (or lead us to a bug inadvertently) where if the user enters -*.* in the Include box, it takes the '-' and transports it into the Filter box, which then treats it like an exclude.

We hadn't received any reports of this previously, and I did not know about it until you brought it up here in the forums. We certainly aren't waiting for complaints to fix aspects of our program. It is an issue we need to look at when we schedule time to work on the filter dialog.

As for changing our syntax for manually entered items in the "Filter: control", that is something else we would consider at that time.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> I think we may have a bit of a miscommunication here

Agreed.

> if the user enters -*.* in the Include box, it takes
                    > the '-' and transports it into the Filter box

Agreed.

> which then treats it like an exclude.

Not agreed. Filters: /shows/ it indistinguishably from an exclude, but /actions/ it as an include.

Comment

Hi guys!

I tested this behaviour (BC 2.4.3) and I think I got the answer:

Leading '-' of file- or folder-names have to be escaped by '\'-sign if entered in the filters-combobox ('-*.* shows nothing, '\-*.*' shows files with leading '-').

Excluding '*.*' excludes all files even if there are Include-Files specified.

Greeting Lutz

Comment

I see that behaviour too, but I don't see how it is an answer to the problem reported.

> Excluding '*.*' excludes all files even if there are Include-Files specified.

Likewise folders. Note to Help author: it would be nice if this was documented.

Comment

Working...
                        X